We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Full solid state disc

ss6c

Likes # 0

Hi I recently got a new PC with windows 7 64 bit. The OS is on a solid state disc "C". 60gb. It only has 4 gigs left and is showing red in "my computer". I have discarded the Hibernate feature as the PC is overclocked and the PC does not hibernate anyway. I have reduced the size of the page file. It only has a couple of programmes besides the OS on it. I have transferred the my documents, pictures, music etc to the normal hard disc. I have run cc cleaner. The disc just keeps getting fuller. I am not knowingly adding anything to it. I have a program called "Folder Size" that identifies the size of the folders. It indicates that all the software on the "C" disc only takes up 20.4 gigs. Anybody know what is going on?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Move all your person folders to the bigger secondary hard-drive you will have in your PC. The SSD drive should be used for nothing more than your operating system and programs,everything else must go to the secondary drive. With SSD prices so low I would move to a bigger SSD,128GB should be a minimum size, 60GB is just a bit tight.

How to move your My folders. Video.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It has to be system restore doing it. What you've done seems to be all that can be done. Alternatively do you have any other software that is a backup program?

Like this post
ss6c

Likes # 0

Well. Although the system did not like it, it kept saying they were system files and would't allow me to take ownership of the folders! There was over 33gigs of thumbnails in a folder in windows- network services-app data-local-microsoft-media player-art cache. Why they should have been created I don't know. Anybody know how to prevent them recurring?

Thaks to everybody who took the trouble to respond,

Geoff.

Like this post
ss6c

Likes # 0

Well. Although the system did not like it, it kept saying they were system files and would't allow me to take ownership of the folders! There was over 33gigs of thumbnails in a folder in windows- network services-app data-local-microsoft-media player-art cache. Why they should have been created I don't know. Anybody know how to prevent them recurring?

Thaks to everybody who took the trouble to respond,

Geoff.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My guess is that those 'Thumbnails' are one of the joys of Libraries!

Like this post
ss6c

Likes # 0

Thanks for everybody's help. I have discovered that this is a known issue with Windows Media player network sharing service. it needs to be disabled in services although it looks as if I can't share Media Player on my network now. still least of my worries.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To Get more space Remove Adobe Reader and Download Foxit Reader it take up only a fraction of the Adobe Space

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund