We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Must have a tablet now

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

No. not a hangover. A friend came today with a tablet PC. having had a play with it I have got to have one. Been doing some research but bewildered by the range and prices and subscriptions or not. All I have decided so far is I want a 10inch screen and not £30 a month to use it. His was an Acer and he said just Google Android, which I did, loads of info. I tend to be an impulse buyer and have gone wrong in the past so I seek your words of wisdom. Thanks have a good xmas. Ray

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Some things to think about:

1. Screen. Apple’s Retina screen and the Google Nexus screen are widely rated the best. That said, for most apps – e.g. surfing the web – they’re perhaps overkill. However, it is said that they make reading the small type used on some web pages much easier. Also, if you’re into photography, they’ll give you much better images.

2. Connectivity/storage. Would it be useful for you to be able to use some sort of external storage device, using e.g. a USB stick or a microSD card? Not all tablets (notably the iPad) support these.

3. Do you want to be able to get online wherever you are, whether or not you’re near a wi-fi signal? If you do, you’ll need 3G. That tends to be a very expensive option, but it’s available.

4. Battery life: if you’re planning to use your tablet on an airplane trip to Los Angeles, will the battery last the duration of the flight?

5. Sound quality: if you want to watch movies or play music, how is the sound quality? It’s never going to be great on a small, slim device – but some are better than others.

6. Performance: I you’re impatient about even a small amount of lag, look for a tablet with a faster processor and/or more memory.

Those are just a few of the things I was taking into consideration – having made the Android decision, as you have – when trying to decide what to get my wife for Christmas. I ended up with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Samsung is a brand I like very much. It’s well reviewed (but not as well as the Google Nexus 10), it ticks all the boxes in terms of my wife’s likely usage and, at £238 – less the £50 Samsung cash back deal currently running – it was about the price I wanted to pay. I don’t think it’s as good as the Google Nexus 10 – but it’s also £100 cheaper.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your input, at least I now have some knowledge of tablets. The Galaxy sounds a reasonable compromise,probably go for that.

Like this post  
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I sometimes wonder why I ask for your advice and then don't take it. I ended up buying a cheapo tablet on Ebay, load of crap, should have listened to you guys. I am able to return it under the 7 day ruling but at my expense. The one I bought had a good sounding spec but was hopelessly slow and no camera lens on the back so could only take photos of the operator, OK as a webcam but useless as a camera. Before I make any more mistakes can anyone tell me if the Galaxy2 or the Nexus 10 have both front and rear cameras. Looks like I need to spend a lot more money. I was told "you get what you pay for" but at times we all think we know better. Happy New Year to all anyway

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Bumpkin: both have both :-) I believe...

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow