We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Must have a tablet now

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

No. not a hangover. A friend came today with a tablet PC. having had a play with it I have got to have one. Been doing some research but bewildered by the range and prices and subscriptions or not. All I have decided so far is I want a 10inch screen and not £30 a month to use it. His was an Acer and he said just Google Android, which I did, loads of info. I tend to be an impulse buyer and have gone wrong in the past so I seek your words of wisdom. Thanks have a good xmas. Ray

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My grand daughter has just got a Samsung 7" tab2 at £155 or so with £20 cash back. A 10" is about £225. A bit thicker and maybe the resolution a bit less good but very good at less than 1/2 price of a iPad.It has a USB out, can take mini SD cards,has a camera. Uses wi fi but there is a 3G version. You can get a keyboard dock to match. We are hopeful of running iTunes on it with a conversion programme and so far it seems great. Look it up on Google.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The best 10" Android tablet available at the moment is undoubtedly the Nexus 10. Currently out of stock but hopefully not for too long.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The bad news is it's too expensive. The good news is it is out of stock so I cant buy it anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I should have said earlier I am looking for something in the range £100 to £150

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look at Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7 inch

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Still looking at tablet pc's. Looks like I may have to spend more as I don't really want a 7". Basically I don't know what I am doing, the specs all seem similar and the prices vary wildly. Am I missing something obvious.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With tablets you generally get what you pay for. It is also worthwhile going for a good brand name eg avoid cheap brands on ebay etc.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, on that basis the Nexus 10 sounds good although way over budget. What does Android mean? is that an O/S. Sorry to sound so stupid but this is totally new to me.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Yes, Android is the OS.

There are only 3 main OSs on tablets: Android, Windows 8, iOS.

iOS is Apple's OS, found only on iPads and iPhones.

Windows 8 is still relatively new, and only a handful of tablets run it. It is still a very good OS though.

Android is what you will find on the majority of non-Apple tablets, and also a very good OS. Make sure you choose a tablet with at least version 4 or higher (also known as Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) or Jelly Bean (4.1)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks D@ve, I actually understood that including the ice cream sandwich and jellybean bit, alphabetical updates. You have enlightened me on O/S's so at least I have a clue now, will go for Android. Having got over the "must have one today" frenzy I will do some more research now that I am getting to understand the basics.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks