We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express

Victor48

Likes # 0

Please can anyone tell me what file my Outlook Express messages and address book would be held in.

I am using Windows XP

Thanks

Vic

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Back up and recover Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/EN-US/ Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Backup Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail Rules, Blocked Senders List and other Settings

Export Your Outlook Express Address Book

1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
  2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
  3. Click Browse.
  4. Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
  5. In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
  8. Click OK and then click Close.

Copy Mail Files to a Backup Folder

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express e-mail message files:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
  3. Select the folder location, and then press CTRL+C to copy the location.
  4. Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.
  5. Click Start, and then click Run.
  6. In the Open box, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
  7. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
  8. On the Edit menu, click Copy, and then close the window.
  9. Right-click any empty space on your desktop, click New, and then click Folder.
    1. Type mail backup for the folder name, and then press ENTER.
    2. Double-click the Mail Backup folder to open it.
    3. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    4. Close the Mail Backup window.

Export the Mail Setting Account to a File

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express mail account:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
  2. On the Mail tab, click the mail account that you want to export, and then click Export.
  3. In the Save In box, locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, and then click Save.
  4. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to export.
  5. Click Close.

Export the Newsgroup Settings Account to a File

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express news accounts:

2. On the News tab, click the news account that you want to export, and then click Export.
  3. In the Save In box, use locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, and then click Save.
  4. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to export.
  5. Click Close.

How to Back Up Blocked Senders List and Other Mail Rules The Blocked Senders List

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate and click the following registry subkeys (save each key to a different file):

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Identities{Identity Number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Block Senders

4. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
  5. In the Save In box, change the location to your desktop.
  6. In the File Name box, type blocked senders.reg (for the Block Senders key), and then click Save.

Other Mail Rules

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate and click the following registry subkeys (save each key to a different file):

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Identities{Identity Number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail

4. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
  5. In the Save In box, change the location to your desktop.
  6. In the File Name box, type mail rules.reg (for the mail rules key), and then click Save.
  7. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Restore Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail Rules, Blocked Senders List and other Settings

Import Messages from the Backup Folder

To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Backup folder:

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
  2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
  3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
  4. Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder in your backup location
  5. Click OK, and then click Next.
  6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Import the Address Book File

To import your Outlook Express address book:

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
  2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
  3. Click Browse.
  4. Locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location, click the address book backup.csv file, and then click Open.
  5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
  6. Click OK, and then click Close.

Import the Mail Account File

To import your Outlook Express mail account file:

2. On the Mail tab, click Import.
  3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
  4. Click the mail account that you want to import, and then click Open.
  5. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to import.
  6. Click Close.

Import the Newsgroup Account File

To import your Outlook Express news account file:

2. On the News tab, click Import.
  3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
  4. Click the news account that you want to import, and then click Open.
  5. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to import.
  6. Click Close.
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

All the Outlook Express howtos http://www.insideoe.com/sitemap.htm

In Windows XP, the Outlook Express user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

Like this post
Victor48

Likes # 0

Fruit bat and Lotvic

Thanks for all your help.

The problem I have is that my account in XP is frozen by a trojan.

My other account is still okay but I am trying to replicate the Outlook Express account in the working XP account.

I have imported messages and address book okay. Thanks.

Now I need to import the messages folders. I can see them but don't know how to import them.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The problem I have is that my account in XP is frozen by a trojan"

Can you please explain that a bit more, do you mean your User Profile for Windows or do you mean your Outlook Express Mail Account Identity?

Have you by any chance created a new User Account in Windows and are wanting to transfer your info/data from a corrupt Windows User/profile Account?

Did you get rid of the Ukash virus? Your thread about it What is the state of the infection on your pc and what problem/symptoms do you have at present?

"I have imported messages and address book okay. Thanks."

"Now I need to import the messages folders. I can see them but don't know how to import them"

Not sure I understand, because if you have imported 'All Folders' as per Step 6 in 'Import Messages from the Backup Folder' that should have done it.

Like this post
Victor48

Likes # 0

Lotvic

My User account in Windows is frozen but my wife's is not.

Using my wife's OE account, which is unused, I managed to import the main messages but not the folders. I will try again.

I am just running Kaspersky to try to get rid of Ukash.

Thanks for your help and sorry to sound a bit dim on this but I am not used to having to retrieve data.

Vic

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's okay, you don't sound dim :) we realise it is difficult to explain sometimes. It is better to explain more detail on state of pc as one problem can affect/cause another and can affect the advice you will get to fix it. I think Fruit Bat /\0/\ will be posting (hope so) with advice/questions later.

Let us know how you get on with getting rid of Ukash and what problems it leaves behind.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To import mail folders from a backup copy in Outlook Express:

Select File | Import | Messages... from the menu in Outlook Express. Highlight Outlook Express 6 or Outlook Express 5 as the email program to import from. Click Next >.

Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory or Import mail from an OE5 store directory is selected. Click OK.

Use the Browse button to select the folder containing your backup copy of the Outlook Express mail store. Click Next >. If you get the message No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open., make sure the files you try to import are not read-only: copy the .dbx files off any read-only medium (from a CD-ROM to a folder on your Desktop, for example), highlight the .dbx files in Windows Explorer, click with the right mouse button, select Properties from the menu, make sure Read Only is not checked and click OK.

Now either select All folders to import all mail or highlight specific mailboxes under Selected folders: to restore only the highlighted folders. Click Next >.

Click Finish.

Like this post
Victor48

Likes # 0

Thanks to Kaspersky I am rid of Ukash.

Many ,many thanks for all the help.

That solves the OE problem as I can now access it via my Windows account.

Just one problem left on start up I get the following message

missing file

C:\docume~1\vicweb~1wgsdgsdgdsgsd.exe

Any ideas??????

Vic

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Part of the Virus thats now gone but windows is still trying to load it

Download and run CCleaner to get rid of accumulate junk

run the registry cleaner under the tools menu several time untill it finds no more errors

use the startup tool to stop programs from loading at startup if your not sure what is starting you can just disable it or check here first.

CCleaner is the safest tool for cleaning the registry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do