We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I resize a C:/ partition or not?

jonmac

Likes # 0

I run Windows 7 and have 2 partitions on my HD, a C: partition and D: one. I have freed some space from D:, at present unallocated, to be available for an increase in C: but windows disc management says I can't increase the size of a bootable partition. Software called Gparted claims to be able to do just this by shifting the free space from right of the D: drive to the right of the C: drive but it fails to allow me to then incorporate it in C: Has anyone used GParted for this operation? If so can you help?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would use something like EaseUs enter link description here

OR

Partition Wizard enter link description here

Both easy to follow with screenshots.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

You have two problems here.

1. Changing the size of the two partitions, relatively easy as you can see.

2. Changing path of the data, (chunk of D: being moved to C: ) even if you manage it you may wreck the OS........ Have you thought of slimming the contents of C:, making system backups faster and letting D: have all the heavy data like video or music files? D: can still be backed up separately.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Hi,Just used the ''EaseUs'' yesterday.Worked very good and easy to follow. Good luck,Merry Xmas.

Like this post
jonmac

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response guys.
northumbria61 - Have downloaded the software and it says it can do just what I want...looks promising. I'll come back with results. Diemmess - That sounds a bit worrying. My C: is software only with appprox. 3Gb left. D: is data only and 150+Gb to spare. I want to free 30Gb of that for C: surely that wouldn't cause any big problems? catpwss - That's encouraging, thanks and here goes.

Like this post
jonmac

Likes # 0

Yippee! Job done, PC rebooted and all appears to be OK. Thanks to you all for responding and all the best for Christmas and New Year.......Now I'm off to download Window 8....!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing