We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I want to build my own website and I need advice

resolute

Likes # 0

I want to build my own website and I need advice

I have been looking for some company to host my potential site and to provide technical help

I have asked the following questions to potential hosters as these are what I was advised to find out from a manual that gave advice on finding a good company to host a website however I have not found a company that can provide of the following , in particular I have found no one that will provide FPT access? which is very frustrating as I am getting no where

therefore could people please look at my requirements and please advice where can get a good company to help me

If I was to buy one of your packages how much disk space - MB would you allow for me to host my business?

What would happen if I needed more than I thought as my business developed? Do you have a monthly transfer (bandwidth) limit?

Ideally I would like no limit at all or a soft ,limit that can be increased mid - month if necessary?

Would I have FPT access? I would like a service that does not charge me an extra fee every time I need to upload new files?

Would your packages handle domain name registration? what is the registration fee? what is the annual renewal fee? Does the registration make me the domain name owner?

Can any one help?

Thankyou?

Like this post
resolute

Likes # 0

Thankyou for your advice

I absolutely know I am in for a steep learning curve - but I am not put off - if I don't try then I will never know if I would have succeeded. I know the odds are against me but I may succeed.

I think I need to start off small - get one of the small packages and see how I get on.

If I were to be lucky and successful would Hearts Business Package be able to handle a big site with lots of traffic and be able to help with the credit card payments or do I have to sort out the credit card payments myself with another company?

Thankyou

Jane

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The package you mention would be fine for a busy e-commerce site - your host will upgrade the facilities for you if needed,as you go along.

If you have no merchant status with the card providers you'll have to use a third-party transaction processing service - there are quite a few of them, and they'll charge you a transaction fee based on a sliding scale. It will be up to you to integrate the transaction system on your site - you'll be passing your customers to the secure transaction server to pay, and then back again when payment is authorised.

There's the question of VAT to consider if your turnover reaches the qualifying level, and also the matter of foreign currency transactions for people who pay from other countries. The transaction processor will handle that, but you'll usually pay a conversion fee.

If you run an e-commerce site you must comply with the legalities - there is statutory information that has to be included on the site. You will also need to comply with the data protection act, and include a list of your terms and conditions of trading - they must comply with the Distance selling regulations,and possibly other consumer protection legislation.

I suggest that before you think about any of that you register a domanin name with the hosting company of your choice, select a starter hosting package,and play around with site design and development. Build a basic test site,and see how you get on. Once you have that up and running you can develop the additional features one by one, testing as you go. There's a lot to do,and as a beginner you'll get into a mess if you try to cross all the bridges at once - you'll find it much harder to work out what is going wrong when something doesn't work.

Transaction sites have to be spot on from the beginning - everything must work when people start arriving with credit cards, expecting to pay and immediately get whatever it is you're selling. If your customers are going to have accounts there will be at least one MySQL database,and you'll need a secure login system for them.

Once you have access to a server package and you have the software you're going to use to design the site you can start experimenting. We'll be here to help along the way if you need us.

Like this post
resolute

Likes # 0

Hey again thankyou so much for your help!!!!

Sorry my reply was late but have been very busy.

I have read your detailed reply and I need to read it again to digest all the key facts.

I think your absolutely right that I need to start small and experiment to make sure I know how everything works from A to Z.

It must be crucial that everything works and I have the capability to solve problems before I even venture with taking payments. This will be along way down the path to possible success and thank you very much for offering me to come back here if I need help as I go along.

Elizabeth

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

When I started my first website I had the same questions and probably the same level of knowledge as you. I done my research and found a hosting company called Storm Internet. http://www.storminternet.co.uk/

Whenever I required help they provided it at a level I could understand and if I did not understand they just found another way to help me understand. Whenever my hosting requirements changed, they advised me and accommodated my needs very quickly.

With great starter packages and easy upgrade options I have stayed with them now for seven years, I have looked elsewhere twice and not found anyone to meet my requirements at a great price with such great service, so I would recommend you investigate them too.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Something that hasn't really been touched on, is it is not necessary for you to develop a web-site.

If you want to do it as a method of self education, that's one thing and something I would definitely encourage. But if your site is just a means to an end, there are ready-made web-site solutions, often provided by hosts, that are pretty much "click and play" - or should I say, "click and pay"?

Inevitably, although these sites can be configured to your design to some degree, they will be similar to many others.

I know 1and1.co.uk has such a solution and no doubt, many other providers can offer a similar service.

So the bottom line is, is your time best spent on promoting your idea and site, or is it best spent on learning how to develop a web-site? The two questions are very different and you should make every attempt to answer one or the other clearly in your own mind, to ascertain the best way forward.

Make no mistake though (and as others have clearly said), developing your own web-site is a very big learning curve. It takes a huge amount of patience and persistence. Not only do you need to come up with a professional looking design, it needs to work properly across multiple browsers and these days, on mobile devices as well.

Incidentally, I would try and use a UK based host. Although I've had good results with 1and1 (an American company with a UK presence), I've also had diabolical experiences with a couple of other American providers, that I've inherited from clients.

As I've already said, I've found 1and1 OK, and I like 123-reg.co.uk as well. They can also provide an "instant site" solution.

Finally, I'm not sure where you got your information from regarding FTP (file transfer protocol). I think every host that I've ever dealt with provides that including godaddy (but I've not had good experiences with them). Alternatively, you may come across SFTP, which is simply a secure version of the same.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

LastChip

"Although I've had good results with 1and1 (an American company with a UK presence), I've also had diabolical experiences with a couple of other American providers, that I've inherited from clients."

For the record, 1&1 is not an American business. It's owned by United Internet, which is a German company.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Thank you FE, I stand corrected. I was under a false impression.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

LastChip

The company does a lot of business under the same name in America, and that probably caused the confusion.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

As a side note. If you have a generic domain .com .net .info etc. and are aiming at a UK audience, would advise against hosting with 1 & 1.

Quite likely you will end up with the wrong geo-targeting in search. Yes, you can set this for Google via Webmaster Tools but not always 100% effective and not applicable to other search engines.

Like this post
resolute

Likes # 0

Hello everybody,

I have a few questions on some on the points you have made:

What is a MySQL database? What do the acronyms ‘MySQL’ stand for?

Forum Editor you talk about ‘merchant status’ in relation to my question of who would handle the card payments. What do you mean my Merchant status in relation to this point? I don’t understand what Merchant status means?

Forum Editor you also talk about domain registration. If I am not the owner of the name and I have to re register over periods of time does this mean that somebody can take over my domain name and company without my consent?

Last chip you state

‘Not only do you need to come up with a professional looking design, it needs to work properly across multiple browsers and these days, on mobile devices as well’

Would a package like Heart Internet help me to make sure my website works across multiple browsers?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK