We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desktop PC starts but monitor says "no signal"

terio

Likes # 0

When I turn on Packard bell imedia PC it seems to start. Windows logo comes on and it looks as if it is going to start screen, then it goes off and monitor says "no signal". Could the fact that power was switched off at socket by mistake have any bearing on this problem? Could this have damaged something? Monitor and cable work perfectly on other computer. Thanks.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

psu = power supply, on its way out or its overheating and shutting down to save the cpu from blowing.

how old is the pc, cpu fan heat matrix may be blocked with gunk

Like this post
terio

Likes # 0

PC is about 10 years old. Is there any way to check power PSU. I will have to look up what that looks like. I have never needed to look inside!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

eeek ! Your PC will be FULL of dust and crud . You should open it up and clean it every 3 months !! PSU will be a square box , with a fan intake facing out of the PC and lots of power cables out of it . Make sure PC is disconnected from wall socket BEFORE opening up .

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

then it goes off and monitor says "no signal" Could the fact that power was switched off at socket by mistake have any bearing on this problem?

Taking these two things together I would forget the overheat due to dust etc. and say that you have corrupted a windows file by switching off while HDD still writing to drive.

At 10 yrs old I assume XP? Do you have a XP CD sounds like you need to do a repair.

BUT FIRST lets try tapping F8 as it first starts - select Last Known Good Configuration from the menu - see if it then boots OK.

Like this post
terio

Likes # 0

Thanks Nick and Fruitbat, I will try suggestions later and get back.

Like this post
terio

Likes # 0

I have XP. I have tried the f8 and last known good config. No difference. I have opened computer, not too much dust.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the computer is running and the monitor is showing same message I thing you are going to have to do a repair install

From the F8 menu can you boot into safemode?

If not then

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
terio

Likes # 0

Although I have genuine XP, computer came ready loaded. I have no CD or any other recovery equipment. Can I download anything to the laptop I am using?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you get it to boot in safe mode?

Does it have a floppy drive? see here

Like this post
terio

Likes # 0

It will not boot in safe mode. It does have a floppy drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...