We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Inspiron + External Hard Drive

Mabinogion

Likes # 0

Hello My trusty Packard Bell gave up the ghost 2 months ago and the Pc Docs told me the mother board had burnt out but the hard drive (80GB) was ok and he saved my docs to a flash drive and I bought a new Inspiron 660S with

Intel dual core i3-2120. Processor speed 3.3GHz. 4GB DDR3 RAM. Hard drive: 1000GB SATA hard drive.

I know the old hard drive wouldn't fit into the new Dell as the new pc is a compact size but how would it be possible to connect the old hard drive to the new Dell? is it possible to be able to use it for backing up files etc even if it has to 'live outside' sort of thing? Thanks for any advice.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

There is no reason why the old (very old) 80 Gb hard-drive should not fit in the new PC as hard-drive are pretty much a standard size for a desktop: 3.5" and 2.5"for a laptop. We now have 2.5"SSD hard-drives but I wwould worry about them.

I suspect that your 80Gb hard- drive has an IDE connection and your new PC will have Sata which would mean connecting to the new PC a little tricky.

So I suggest getting an external hard-drive caddy which will take IDE and Sata. Something like this. Caddy. It will be just a case of undoing a couple of screws sliding your HDD in connecting power and data cable to it, putting the face plate back on then plugging it into your PC with the supplied USB cable.It should be automatically seen by Windows and hopefully you will be good to go.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it's the Inspirion 660s I don't think there is a spare bay to fit another internal hard drive. It does have two sata ports on the motherboard though not sure where Optical Drive plugs in.

You could get a usb caddy and put the old hard drive in that, then it will be a usb external hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback