We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is VPN a dirty word?

mik61ish

Likes # 0

Is VPN a dirty word?

I am thinking of going VPN as I would like to look at UK television ie bbci ITV Channel 4 etc. To hook up a PC with HDMI and connect to my Panasonic 42" plasma. I can do it now with my laptop with HDMI using expat shield but the picture is not very good grainy! Would it be any better with a dedicated stand alone PC has anyone any experience in this set up? I live in NZ hence trying to get VPN

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's not a dirty word but to have the best I think you will need to fork out money. Sadly Governments are dedicated to stop this kind of thing. So much for WWW.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Is VPN a dirty word?"

Not per se, but where UK TV content is concerned there are restrictions. The reason is that nowadays you mustn't assume that broadcasters like the BBC and ITV own the overseas broadcast rights to the content that goes to air in the UK.

Rights agreements are often structured so that the original production company retains the overseas broadcast rights so they can sell programming to other countries.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

"Sadly Governments are dedicated to stop this kind of thing."

Not so much the governments as the privately owned TV production companies which make the programmes. If you had just spent £20 million on a big drama series and sold the UK transmission rights to the BBC would you want people all over the world watching your work free of charge when you can sell it to the TV companies in lots of different countries?

No,you wouldn't.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Might be worth a look -

UK TV everywhere

Like this post
wilsonj

Likes # 0

The vpn software is easy to use, the speed of the internet connection is higher than you would need it. Only the price for a short usage time is expensive..

Like this post
danb79

Likes # 0

Seem to be millions of these things out there now I did a free trial with http://www.laptoptelly.com, worked ok with iPlayer, ITV etc. you have to get a pretty fast one in some countries though so it doesn't buffer.

Like this post
danb79

Likes # 0

Seem to be millions of these things out there now I did a free trial with http://www.laptoptelly.com worked ok with iPlayer, ITV etc. you have to get a pretty fast one in some countries though so it doesn't buffer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added