We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows xp reload verification problem

el jimbo2

Likes # 0

I am in the process of reloading win xp, and its virtually done.

My problem is that as it restarts it asks for verification, I press the yes option, and then nothing happens. I cannot actually get into windows. My windows xp is legitimate and I put in the genuine key during the installation process earlier.

I cannot re-install as it will no longer boot of the win xp disc.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

The hdd is new and I don't see that as the problem, windows has installed and the problem is the verification.

The cd drive is the second boot drive after the floppy disk drive.I have pressed all the buttons on boot up, it just won't boot from any drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The hdd is new and I don't see that as the problem, windows has installed and the problem is the verification.

That's fair enough.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Windows has installed and the only problem is activation. The HDD is new and i dont see that as a problem

I have pressed all the buttons on boot up, the cd drive is a bootdevice, but it goes straight into windows install.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

dr yes, whether I press yes or no, nothing further happens.No fuurhter dialogue box opens.

I can't get into safe mode.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the bios disable the A:\ drive (floppy). I asked previously why you needed to reinstall XP but you decided not to answer for some reason.

Re-new the cmos battery.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

rdvae 13, so sorry!

My pc gets very slow and unresponsive. I find that if i flatten it then it become like a new machine.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Dis=abled A drive. No difference.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No need to apologise. The reason I've suggested a new cmos battery is that regardless what changes you do in the bios, once you reboot, it goes back to default settings. Hence it's trying to boot from floppy disk settings. Usually A:\ drive or floppy or something, like FDS. So you have no chance of booting from the Optical drive or Hdd.

Just my humble opinion.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

rdave 13,

When I started the install, I did so by rebooting with the cd in the drive. At that point, it booted off the cd drive. It only stopped that once the install was complete. I believe the sequence is A drive, then D; with the HDD being the last in the process. I believe it says that in the bios.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Time and date in the bios?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks