We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows xp reload verification problem

el jimbo2

Likes # 0

I am in the process of reloading win xp, and its virtually done.

My problem is that as it restarts it asks for verification, I press the yes option, and then nothing happens. I cannot actually get into windows. My windows xp is legitimate and I put in the genuine key during the installation process earlier.

I cannot re-install as it will no longer boot of the win xp disc.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What was the problem so that you needed to reinstall XP originally? Could be the hard drive failing.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

A random thought... I've spent the last hour reinstalling XP (Ninite is currently running...) My heart sank when, after the reinstall, I got an error saying "error loading operating system". Fortunately, just before I did the install over again, I remembered that some PCs will try to boot off the USB drive if there is one - and I'd inserted one with the drivers on it. I removed the USB drive - and the PC happily booted. I guess what I'm saying is - your problem couldn't be being caused by a USB drive, could it?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's a good one Ian in Northampton.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you mean it asks for Activation? (not verification)

if so tell it no, you will activate later (when you have got the internet connection set up)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Will it boot from the HDD if you remove the CD?

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Hdd is new.

No usb drive connected.

Yes it is asking for activation.Normally I say no and it will give me 30 days for activation. Now it will not let me log on untill it activates.

It is not booting off the cd at all, whether cd is in or not makes no difference.

Internet connection is rj45, and working fine before the re=install.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can you reformat the drive, in a caddy, using another PC?

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

rdave13, I don't know how to do it.

I don't want to damage another pc.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Remove the drive then boot up to see if you get any errors from the bios. If you get something like 'no boot media' then it will be the hard drive that has problems.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

or with the cd set as first boot device you could 'press any key' at bios prompt to boot from the cd-drive instead of letting it try to boot into the messed up xp hard drive install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......