We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What hard drive is better ?

jack1988
Resolved

Likes # 0

Western digital caviar black or Seagate barracuda ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It is down to personal preference. Both are leading manufacturers of Hard Drives. I have 2 hard drives in my PC - one main drive and the other one I clone to. One is Seagate and the other is Western Digital. To answer your query, which is better - I personally don't find any difference, but I am sure there are others who do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I found myself in same quandary last month. Finally got fed up trying to decide and chose WD (bought three 1TB drives) as I had an old one still going strong that had outlasted a seagate, haven't had a problem with new drives so far, not noisy or anything.

My decision did not have any logic to it as todays drives are made in different factories and countries than my old drives were.

One point to check up on, is if WD drives will fit into those Docking Stations, I seem to remember that there are some that don't because of the placement of the pins on back of hard drive.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

For performance get the one with the fastest rotation speed and largest cache.

If you want to go in depth look at the latest charts

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/hdd-charts-2012/benchmarks,134.html

Like this post  
JayDay

Likes # 0

I've owned both brands in the past and find no difference between them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia