We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recording audio from tape HiFi unit to - PC Desktop

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have done this easily years ago with Audacity installed to edit before burning CDs. I assume I must load Audacity and then set the tape player running?

I still have mess of cables to connect Hi Fi to a Maplin preamplifier, then onwards to line in on the PC

Result ------- absolutely nothing! Not even a crackle or buzz.

Having done it satisfactorily years ago, I feel a right plonker not being able to do it this time. The Pre-amp has scarcely a finger mark and all have been stowed in the original box between times. Could the pre-amp be dead? or have I failed to choose what to plug in and where? The power supply to the Pre-amp is OK

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In control panel sounds and audio Have you set recording from line in?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ ..............Yes Realtek HD audio playback and Realtek HD Audio Recording respectively These are the default settings.

I have confused myself trying too many alternatives. (Using XP)

I have plugged into Line in on the PC perhaps I should try Mic?

The HI Fi is an old Tecnics stack and I'm unsure where to plug in amongst the spaghetti. I expected that the back of this Cassette deck with the phono sockets saying REC Play Back?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do you need the preamp ?

speaker output from cassette to line in or mic (sound card set accordingly)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

or if hi-fi has headphone socket

I used to use a 3.5 male to male cable from headphone socket to line in on PC

Always seem to forget to switch hifi to cassette rather than the turntable though and wonder why no sound :0)

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Better to use the headphone output as the speaker output is far too high and could blow your line in circuit.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

There is a headphone socket but It needs an adaptor to reduce from its WWII size and is at the output end of the main amplifier. I put it somewhere safe long ago and can't find it!

I really feel dim with this one...Assuming I sort out a connection with the PC and have Audacity loaded, does Audacity automatically wake up and offer to record? ...... Or what is the next step?

life never used to be like this!!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

here goes,this is in win7 but it applies vista. go to control hardware & sound-open change sound system-click on the recording tab-right click and tick show show disabled devices-click on stereo mix-just click your way out,hope that helps.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone.

All the info is most helpful. The new Audacity is a big development on the old version, but for the present just makes it necessary to concentrate on the good help now available rather than just crash about.

Have now a good signal from the headphone outlet and run the hardware check on the PC's capability.

I have yet to find a ticked box or a procedure which will make Audacity take notice, or to record anything at all which is available though the integrated Realtek and Foxconn MB.

Should be doing other things, but a son is calling later anyway and though he like me hasn't done this for ages, is likely to bring the right answer. forom a bran which still has more grey cells than mine.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

None so blind as WILL not see. All rigged up with a radio programme recording

With Audacity loaded, clicked on the record button, then one click to the play button just for fun. Almost deafened by the response!

It was her first Secondary School Concert last Thursday and youngest grandchild played (with piano accompanist) her soprano sax and "Somewhere over the Rainbow." The old pocketable recorder did us proud and now I can present her with a CD.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...