We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making a Partition on a HDD.

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,I'm using windows 7 home premium with two HDD one is C and the other is E. The C is of course the main one with the OS on it,Also has all my programs. That's all is on that drive,It's a 500gb and the OS takes up 54gb now the rest is just empty space.

Drive E,That's where all my Documents/Music/Pictures/Video are.That drive is a 2TB HDD. Now regarding the empty space on the C drive,Would it be possible to partition that off from the OS section and have about 300gb of spare to store something rather than leave it empty.

Also I have a weekly backup of the OS by means of a Macrium backup software,That is backed up to the E drive. Then also the E drive is also backed up to an external HDD.

Is there any help on this if possible,Its got to be easy I'm not very technically minded regarding computing.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Will let you know

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Hi,many thanks for your help. But sorry to say that figure you gave was totally refused by the windows set up.As per image earlier the total available was 41186,Anything higher than that was a no no.I could only get 40.22GB out of it. 500GB drive with an OS of 60GB and only can shrink 40.22GB out of it,Something wrong somewhere. What would you experts say?.A bit disapointed here. Thanks Very Much.C.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try lotvic's suggestion. EasUs is held in high regard I think.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per the info on the screenshot you posted W7 says: "You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located"

You have to remember you are using the harddrive and the Op Sys on it (W7) whilst telling it to move files. It cannot packup and move files it is using.

Try the free program I suggested. It will require you to restart the pc (a popup message will appear) so that it can do it before pc boots into W7. Remember to make an image backup to a different harddrive for 'just in case'. Also before you start it is good idea to defrag the drive as per Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested, so files are in order.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

All sorted,many thanks for all your help.

Merry Xmas to All

Like this post  
catpwss

Likes # 1

Diolch Yn Fawr

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...