We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making a Partition on a HDD.

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,I'm using windows 7 home premium with two HDD one is C and the other is E. The C is of course the main one with the OS on it,Also has all my programs. That's all is on that drive,It's a 500gb and the OS takes up 54gb now the rest is just empty space.

Drive E,That's where all my Documents/Music/Pictures/Video are.That drive is a 2TB HDD. Now regarding the empty space on the C drive,Would it be possible to partition that off from the OS section and have about 300gb of spare to store something rather than leave it empty.

Also I have a weekly backup of the OS by means of a Macrium backup software,That is backed up to the E drive. Then also the E drive is also backed up to an external HDD.

Is there any help on this if possible,Its got to be easy I'm not very technically minded regarding computing.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I successfully did that using Free EaseUS® Partition Master 9.2.1 Home Edition but took the precaution of making an image of original C and storing image on different harddrive before I shrank the C to leave space for a separate partition.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The only advantage of shrinking the op system partition (c:) is that your image of that partition can be made and restored quicker.

You can do it with windows 7 own disk management but always make a back up first.

One way of partitioning a large drive is to have:

C: for the op system

another partition for installing programs

and a third to store your data (music docs emails etc.)

Always back up to another physical drive (not a partition on the same drive) (and preferably an external drive),

if /when the drive fails then your stuck with no back up to restor from

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

FruitBat.Thanks for the reply. Regarding using W7 to partition my C drive,can you Please give me some info,When I right click on the C drive select 'shrink volume'Then a box comes on screen with some figures. Now what I want to do is,100gb for the OS and have 300gb of free space. What figures would I have to enter in the box to achieve that method of mine. Also I would have to format that 300gb section how does one do that?. Hope you understand my plan.Hope you can assist me out here. Thanks very Much.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

100GB = 102400MB so if shrinking by 300GB that's 307200

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/ its the same for W7

note you may have to defrag first.

to format all you do is right click the partition and select format - it won't let you format the C:\ drive with the op system on it.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks for reply.Did that with your figures and the partition only showed 39.5GB. Assist Please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

did you miss a 0 off?

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

No I entered '' 307200''. Thanks for being patient

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Hi this the box I get up. Image...[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oF8Rd.jpg[/IMG]

In the white box I entered 307000

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

2457600 I'm mixing my bits and bytes again:0)

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Do you mean to enter that figure in the box?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK