We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG 2012 will not uninstall

dangerus1

Likes # 0

I have tried to uninstall AVG 2012 prior to installing the 2013 version nothing happens, so I tried to install 2013 thinking it would install over 2012. I am now getting the message "Please wait until the current programme has finished uninstalling or changing" I left it and went for a cuppa,when I came nothing had happened. Any ideas please.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

jock1e I will run MalwareBytes but the chkdsk finished with "Hard drive failure is imminent, replace hard drive" After 9am I shall be in touch with the Warranty people, even if it seems to be healed I would still be wondering if something was lurking.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted. This post may be as dangerus1 as I'm back on the desktop

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" "Windows has detected a hard disk problem and "start the backup process" amongst the details given is "the following hard disks are reported failing" backup immediately, try not to use your computer until you have repaired or replaced your hard disk"

dangerus1, I think that message is being generated by the SMART monitoring system that's built-in to your hard drive. When it predicts imminent failure it alerts you with a warning. I'd recommend you backup your valuable personal files immediately, or even better, see if you can clone the entire drive as I'm almost certain it needs replacing.

I agree Dr Yes's comments - hammering the hard drive by doing disk checks and malware scans will shorten its life even further.

This problem has nothing to do with your AVG uninstall/reinstall attempts.

Good luck with everything.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You had already backed up your system so running security programs or the likes of chkdsk was immaterial.Did you have a spare hard drive or did you have to buy one.

My Grandaughters went without any warnings and I managed to get a cheap replacement for about £40.

You can if you don't already have one buy a caddy for about £4-£5 from Amazon just in case there are other things that you need to save.

Just interested did chkdsk finish the scan or did it stop at the same spot every time.

lets hope they send you a new hard drive without having to get them to collect your laptop for repair.

let us know how you get on,best of luck.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel and Jock1e

The Desk top is packed away ready for collection Monday (Very helpful man at the Warranty Co). chkdsk finished and still came up with the same warnings. I am down to using my netbook, the only trouble it has no DVD writer and with all the videoing of the grandkids over Christmas I shall miss it. (May have to treat myself to a portable one, are they any good?)

Many thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how I went on when I get it back.

Enjoy the festive season everyone and thanks once again for the advice this time and others past.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Apologies Jock1e, I failed to spot the bit where the OP said "I've done a backup disk" - sorry.

"..........so running security programs or the likes of chkdsk was immaterial."

I thought you may be interested in learning about what's triggering the OP's warning messages. It's nothing to do with malware, and chkdsk can't permanently repair a drive where the on-board SMART technology has detected that it's likely to suffer a catastrophic failure in the near future.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update dangerusone - hope you and your loved ones have a great Christmas :)

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

Update. I received the PC back from the warranty/repairers (Jabil of Coventry?) and it is OK but instead of having 2 hard disc drives as previous there are 3.

OS(C) - 97.6 GB ....Local Disc (D) - 355 GB ....HP-Recovery (E) - 12.3 GB

All my folders Documents/Music etc are in OS(C) and Local Disk (D) is empty. Before I start reloading stuff back on is there a way to combine (C) and (D) into one.

I was a bit cheesed off with the repairers as there was no communication not even when it came back. I would have been better saving my warranty money and when it went wrong taking it down to my local repair shop.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will D Drive not be your CD Drive or do you not have one on your computer.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e, I have just solved the problem by go to

Computer(R/Click)-Manage-Disk Management-R/Click on the graph of (D) and Delete- R/click on(C) graph and click extend. Seems to be OK now, back to 2 Disks.

Many thanks for the interest.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

dangerus1

Ok nice to see you back up and running again.

And thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers