We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG 2012 will not uninstall

dangerus1

Likes # 0

I have tried to uninstall AVG 2012 prior to installing the 2013 version nothing happens, so I tried to install 2013 thinking it would install over 2012. I am now getting the message "Please wait until the current programme has finished uninstalling or changing" I left it and went for a cuppa,when I came nothing had happened. Any ideas please.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

yes I had trouble getting on this site a few months ago and had to change my name.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Should have asked if your ran the removal tool provided by northumbria61.

Sorry don't know a lot about recovery DVD's best waiting for northumbria61 or someone else to get back to you.

Check what space you have left on the hard drive and let us know if it is 20% or less.

Maybe go into safe mode and run System repair.And also maybe go into command prompt and run sfc /scannow to see if that finds any problems.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

In view of the warning message about the imminent failure of my hard drive I shall be on to the Comet helpline first thing am. I took an extended warranty out with them until 2014 which is covered by the Warranty Group (AfterCare) So hopefully I should be covered OK.

Jock1e The hard drive is only just over half full (Total space 500GB) but I will run chkdsk and see if anything comes up.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You haven't yet told us what you are using - PC or Laptop and O.S. Do you have any System Restore Points to a time just before your problem occurred?

Have you tried the AVG removal Tool? I think we need to try and eliminate your attempt to uninstall/install different versions of AVG first before looking for anything else.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you tick both boxes and it finishes the scan the hard drive should be Ok.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe to remove the printer to see if it works ok without that.

[ Comet helpline]As Comet has gone down the drain will you still be covered.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Jock1e - Re: Warranty.

If you have bought the product from Comet it is actually run by a third party company, called ExtraCare, part of The Warranty Group, and this is unaffected by the administration of Comet Group Limited.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2228165/Is-Comet-extended-ExtraCare-warranty-worthless.html#ixzz2Fd0Q8ww4 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Ok was not sure what would happen but looks like they are still covered.Thanks for the update.

dangerus1

Maybe download and run MalwareBytes just to make sure your computer is not infected.AVG itself is not very good it needs a backup.

Had a look on google for the same sort of problems and nearly every one was for HP.

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Northumbria61 PC is an HP G5208UK - OS Windows 7

I have done system restore and uninstalled the Epson PX730WD printer. I haven't used the AVG removal tool as I'm running chkdsk as Jock1e suggested at the moment but I will when that finishes. I am posting this from a netbook if you were wondering how I can post and run chkdsk at the same time.

Jock1e The PC/Netbook postings may explain the different login names. I have Malwarebytes but I have been lax in using it. I still think I will be getting in touch with the Warranty people on Friday morning as my confidence is going, I don't have you guys level of expertise and don't understand a lot of the technical terms. Old age and senile decay (as my family jokingly put it) I hope they are joking. ;-)

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Sorry dr yes I did not see your posts before I started the chkdsk. I have come to the conclusion that AfterCare can sort it, that is what I paid for with the warranty.

I will post and keep folks informed as to the service I get from AfterCare as they have received mixed reviews.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

dangerusone

Before you contact them I would update and run malwarebytes just to make sure it is not a nastie that is causing the problem.

I remember I got the same warning on my computer about 4 years ago and my daughter has the computer now and it is still running with the same hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July