We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG 2012 will not uninstall

dangerus1

Likes # 0

I have tried to uninstall AVG 2012 prior to installing the 2013 version nothing happens, so I tried to install 2013 thinking it would install over 2012. I am now getting the message "Please wait until the current programme has finished uninstalling or changing" I left it and went for a cuppa,when I came nothing had happened. Any ideas please.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Download and use the SVG 2012 Uninstall tool - enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

SVG - read AVG

Like this post
dangerusone

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Northumbria, it's one to bookmark. I managed to update to 2013 but everything is very slow and I pressed Control/Alt/Delete when it froze afterwards and got the message "The hard disc is in imminent danger of failure, make a recovery disc" I can't be sure that is the exact wording.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have had AVG (paid for version) for several years now. For some people new versions will install over the top of the old one but personally I have always removed the old version first and then done a clean install of the new one.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Since you are AVG fans maybe this will interest you.

AVG

Looks like quite a good deal.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Jock1e - thanks for that but have 11 months to go on current licence. I purchased 2012 version last year (same 4 user 2yrs) from Amazon for similar price - AVG were asking £68 for renewal. The only thing to remember if it is done this way is that you have to remove any previous version to avoid problems.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

Sorry to trouble you guys again but I am beginning to think the problem is not with AVG, every time I restart I get the message "Windows has detected a hard disk problem and "start the backup process" amongst the details given is "the following hard disks are reported failing" backup immediately, try not to use your computer until you have repaired or replaced your hard disk. The only things I have done different to normal usage the last few days is - install an Epsom PX730WD printer and try and uninstall AVG. The PC is an HP 3 years old with no problems before this.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Any cheaper than that and they would be giving it away free.

I must admit I don't use it any more but did use it for about 5 years.

dangerus1,dangerusone.I take it it is the same user just a different username.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

I should have mention that I made3 Recovery discs as advised by a HP message early on and I've done a backup disk as advised now. Would this restore Windows 7 OS in the event of needing a new hard drive

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you got plenty room left on your hard drive.Is it a message from Microsoft.

You could run chkdsk by ticking both boxes to see if that finds any problems.It will probably take a few hours depending on how much you have on your computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite