We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

separating emails with semi colon

belayer

Likes # 0

I have a list of email addresses I want to use. At the moment I have them as a text and as a list in Excel.

I would like to have them as a Word Doc list with a semi colon and space between each one so I can just Copy and Paste the list into an email.

Is there an easy way to do it?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

There is nothing to stop you doing just that. Type the list in Word as you specify - in a continuous line (no line breaks) and then you could copy and paste into the To: line of your mail. But I would suggest it would be far better, and less clumsy, to make up a group in your email program and send the mail to that group.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Its a list of a few hundred, I already have them in a list but I can't use it for emailing because it has to have each address searated by a semi-colon and a space first.

I just thought there must be a command that will do it for me.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If you send a list of a few hundred then your ISP will most likely consider that you are spamming - and will not send them.

I'm not quite sure what type of "command" you are thinking of. However you do it you would need to prepare the list first

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Let me start again.

I have a list of association members in Excel with their names and addresses and other details. I want to extract the column of email addresses to use it in Outlook and convert them into a format that Outlook accepts (a semi colon and space between each name) and save it in a text/doc format so I can copy and paste it into the email box to send news items to members.

My ISP is perfectly happy that I do this and will deliver them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Copy your text file to a Word document.

In Word on the Edit menu you have 'Find and Replace' that should do the trick if your text file has used commas to separate each address replace the comma with ; (type a ; and then a space) then click on Replace All.

If it is a list with each email addy on a new line then in 'Find and Replace' click on Special and choose 'Paragraph Mark' and replace with your ; (type a ; and then a space) then click on Replace All.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Tip: when you do send the emails, use your name in the To: line (or Insert "Undisclosed Recipients" in the To: field, followed by your email address in "<,>" braces) and paste the List of names into the BCC: line. (Blind Carbon Copy) Here's the instructions

If you don't then each one of the recipients will receive the long list of everyones email address. It will only take one pc to be infected and the whole lot will be harvested by the Spammers.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, its pretty much what I needed.

Thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

I do this all the time. Copy the column of email addresses into a Word document. Click in the column, then go to 'Table in Excel. Click on 'convert', then 'table to text' (this is all Office 2003 - it may be different in other versions, but the principle probably still applies). Now, you'll be given a choice of how you want he field separated. In theory, you ought to be able to choose 'other' and use a semi-colon. I've never been able to get this to work, so I leave it as the default - paragraph mark. Then, when it's done, I use Word's search/replace to replace paragraph marks with semicolons. It sounds laborious, but it's actually very quick - and a whole lot quicker than the alternatives..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made