We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SNRM falls at night, but does not recover completely next day

newearwax

Likes # 0

My ADSL2+ target noise margin is 3dB. as is to be expected, the margin falls considerably overnight. The next day I would expect to see it recover to near the target, but it only increases to less than 2dB, very rarely higher.

Is the router faulty, or is there another explanation? Any advice friends? Please!

Router Technicolor TG582N

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would try switching router off and after 30 secs or so, switch it back on again to make a new connection.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Less than 2dB does sound a bit too low, but if you're not getting any disconnections then I don't think you should worry about it.

Like this post
newearwax

Likes # 0

@lotvic On the rare loss of sync I do as you suggest

@Secret-Squirrel

It doesn't present a problem. I am more interested why the SNRM does not rise to the the target. Might anyone enlighten me on that?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I am more interested why the SNRM does not rise to the the target."

Noise on the line or an inferior router are two possible causes. What's your downstream attenuation?

Like this post
newearwax

Likes # 0

Att: 47dB Router TG582N as stated above

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Att: 47dB"

I take it you're a long way from your exchange. The longer your line, the more potential there is to pick up unwanted noise and interference and that could account for why the SNR struggles to get above 2dB.

Like this post
newearwax

Likes # 0

According to Kitz Distance:- Direct: 2.04 km By Road: 2.6 km

Attenuation is for ADSL2+ connection.

The SNRM target was reduced to 3dB after a battery fault a year back, so the system must have thought line not too noisy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen