We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Playing MOV files on PC

imzy

Likes # 0

Hi there.

I just got an IPad and I recorded some videos on it. I connected the IPad to my PC and copied and pasted the video to my hard drive. The file is in VOD format. Now I can't seem to play it with Windows Media Player and when I use orher programs to open it the quality is terrible. Also when I try to play the file my computer has crashed a couple of times and also freezed a couple of times. I would like to play it with Windows Media Player because I qant to burn it to cd and give it to people to play.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's all to do with the codecs (encoding)

Download and use the free program dvdflick to convert your Apple QuickTime .mov and burn to a DVD that can be played on any dvd player. (Don't forget to also download the manual .pdf)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

you also could do with free VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ to watch .mov properly on your Windows pc. VLC can play just about anything you can chuck at it :)

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. I will try to convert it then burn it to disc.Any ideas why my computer kept crashing when I tried to play the file?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not really, perhaps because Windows Media Player couldn't cope with .mov and lacks the programming to be able to identify that it can't play it properly.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I also should have given you this link to Apple's page to download Apple Quicktime for Windows (Apples player so that you can watch .mov on Windows pcs)

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. I did try to play the file with quicktime but the quality was not good but I am runnung an older version of quicktime so I will try to update it and see if that helps.I Am am alao trying Dvdflick to burn the file. Thanks.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

I don't kmow what I am doing wrong. Even when I try to open the file with Quicktime my computer crashes and starts doing domething called a CRASH DUMP. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong and tell me step by step how I can play my ipad videos on a normal pc.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

I tried to open the file again and the computer started to freeze then crashed.
The stop cide was: 0x000000c2, 0x00000007, 0x00001107, 0x11f415ff, 0x74661400. The error description was : BADPOOLCALLER. it didn,t mention any files. When the computer came back on it said I needed a Disk Check which took about 5 minutes then the computer started. This is a lot of trouble just to play a video file from a USB device!!!!

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Ok thanks. Will try and let you know how I get on. I am running windows vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'