We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't send a simple Email

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have made a similar posting before and thought I had it sorted but today the message is back again, here is the full message that I get when trying to send an Email. The message is three lines of text only no attachments. "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the temporary on the server. The message was not sent. Try to reduce the message size and try again later. The server responded too many received this hour, pleased try later" any suggestions please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

So how did this posting work?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply and link but still no wiser, can't even send "hi ray" to myself without getting the same message. Any further help or suggestions please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Tried System Restore to no avail. Tried to send myself a test mail by holding the X key down to write a few lines. Wrote one or two X's to start the line then wrote O's or Zeros for say 100 characters then finished with an X. I did not take my finger off the X key. Puzzled to say the least.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Tried all keys in Thunderbird and they all work apart from the X. All keys including X are fine when tested in word.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Login to your Webmail server, it sounds as if your Mailbox might be full. Especially have a look in the Spam/Junk folder and have a good clearout.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

..well it's worth a try but as it's outgoing that you've problems with. Maybe it's the server having problems, which email server (SMTP) and what port number are you sending on?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have now got the message that I sent to myself to test things,when sending it I just held down the x key for a few lines of text but most of the x's became o's. As said I got the message back but still o's where I have typed x but not so many. Difficult to explain and getting beyond my understanding now, how do I find which port I am using and (SMTP) ? it may be IMAC if that makes any sense, out of my league on this one.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, the server is IMAC and the port 143. Working OK at the moment so may well have been the server, I will see what happens. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

port 143. That is your IMAP incoming port without SSL (receiving)

It is not your server. It is not your SMTP (sending)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more