We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WIRELESS ROUTER SETUP

asterias

Likes # 0

My OS is XP Prof'.My current wireless router is a Thomson PlusNet TG585 v8.To improve the range and speed for my other wireless devices I have purchased an ASUS RT-N66U Gigabit Router Dual-Band Wireless N900.I cannot successfully set this router up as I constantly get the message "check cable between modem and WAN port" and I also lose my home telephone connection at the same time.I don't understand this as the cable from the telephone microfilter connected to the PlusNet router in the same way works perfectly OK and the RJ45 LAN port cable from my PC to the Plusnet works OK but when connected in the same manner to the ASUS does not.Any suggestions would be a great help.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To Setup a Router that is Wired and Wireless, Start IE with Ethernet Cable Connection from PC to Router. Type the Router Address into IE Address Bar Mine is a 3Com address for mine is 192.168.1.1 then press enter key, your address may differ from the above as each router is different. If it works you will get a screen asking for password try admin in lower case letters. if its not been changed it may tell you the key. this will get you into the setup screen for wireless etc; save settings after each screen entered

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To Setup a Router that is Wired and Wireless, Start IE with Ethernet Cable Connection from PC to Router. Type the Router Address into IE Address Bar Mine is a 3Com address for mine is 192.168.1.1 then press enter key, your address may differ from the above as each router is different. If it works you will get a screen asking for password try admin in lower case letters. if its not been changed it may tell you the key. this will get you into the setup screen for wireless etc; save settings after each screen entered

Looking at this you may need to update the firmware as it says its a little buggy

Link to Router Review

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

dr yes what makes you say its a cable router? as I cannot see that in google about it

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"as I cannot see that in google about it"

The lack of the word "modem" in the product specification should give you a clue.

Unfortunately the model that Asterias has bought will not operate as a direct replacement for his Thomson because it doesn't have a modem. Although it should be possible to set the Asus to wireless-access-point-only mode and connect it to the Thomson via Ethernet cable, it'd be a lot less faff to return it and exchange it for an all-in-one unit such as the DSL-N55U as recommended by the good doctor.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Right I am with you now. I do know what ADSL is but did not know it had to say it on the modems that connect to it. If it was a Cable Modem I would expect it to say so in plain English.

Something I must watch out for

Like this post
asterias

Likes # 0

Dear woodchip, Thk you for the info' but how does the ASUS router connect to my telephone line?Shud I plug my phone line into it's connection socket on the back of my PC?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Dear woodchip, Thk you for the info' but how does the ASUS router connect to my telephone line?"

Unfortunately Woodchip, like you, didn't realise that the router you've bought doesn't have a modem so it's not possible to connect it to your telephone line. Plugging the phone line into the back of your PC won't work either.

Apologies if Dr Yes and I didn't make things clear enough but you've simply bought the wrong thing. This Asus router on the other hand (that the doctor suggested) is an all-in-one unit that incorporates a modem and wireless router - just like your Thomson TG585.

Are you able to send the RT-N66U back and exchange it for a suitable model?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...