We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti Virus and malware protection for Android / Ice Cream Sandwich

john bunyan

Likes # 0

My granddaughter had a iPod touch stolen (Would you believe whilst at Oxford University for a 3 day admission interview). She is (I am paying!!) replacing it with a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2. She will use it both as a MP3 and, with a Keyboard dock, to do essays at school to send via Cloud, e mail or Dropbox? to her heavier laptop. I have bought, but not yet opened or installed, Norton Tablet Security. Her laptop uses free MSE along with SAS. Any hints or tips on a) Anti virus (maybe freebies) b) Anti Malware c) I think she can compose essays etc in the Samsung built in format then either e mail them to her PC and open them in Word 2007 - is this oK and is free dropbox suitable? A free version of Cloud Knowhow is included. The Tablet is coming in a day or two.Finally I think there is an App to use iTunes on the Tablet. Any advice on the above items would be appreciated.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

All news items I have read ref Android seem to point to malware being the main problem . If your granddaughter only downloads apps from google play , she should be pretty safe . I personally wont use Android , as too many apps ask or take permission for stuff they don't need . ie contact lists . Perhaps a good idea would be to get her to read the advise pages on security , as a bit of knowledge combined with some common sensce will avoid many of the pitfalls .

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I have put AVG free on my Nexus from the store. Whether it is OK or not I wait and see.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There's this freebie but I haven't used it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There was a very similar thread a few days ago http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4193935/do-you-need-anti-virus-on-a-smart-phone/

Suggest you look at the solutions suggested there plus Prey.

Free dropbox should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't want to compose essays on a 7" tablet and would prefer something larger.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks to all, esp Woolwell. The problem re essays is that her laptop is heavy to commute with on the train journey and longish walk to school. She will do "homework" essays at home on that(Recently submitted her 4000 word extended essay as part of IB course). Sometimes she stays at school after hours to use the library so will make limited use of the tablet for that purpose.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you considered a 10" tablet?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Yes but the original thought was to replace an iPod. I will talk to her again!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If replacing an iPod (music in iTunes, etc) then have you considered and iPad Mini plus buying the Pages app? Music should transfer ok.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

There is an App for the Samsung that translates / imports iTunes. I Pad mini expensive for now - the Samsung was about £150 plus £22 of a 32 gig mini SD card. I am thinking of the 10" Samsung for my wife.

For now she (granddaughter) is happy - will re visit the issue if and when she passes to go to Uni -she has offers from 4 ; Kings London, UCL, Exeter and Royal Holloway, awaiting result of Oxford interview but only about 25% get offers and the interview is hard to get. Thanks again for your help.PS It came with Norton Tablet Security at a reduced price - similar to others in the other thread.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

All very good colleges - trust that she does well.

The Samsung is a good tablet. I've "played" with one. She will need a google account if she does not already have one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014