We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Earth Update Dec 2012

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Just downloaded the new Google Earth upgrade and strange things happened. Froze initially, then started offering me Direct X loading, box appeared asking if I wanted to send an error message (WTF I'm just innocently upgrading here!). After this the screen went black, then a small version of Earth appeared which wouldn't respond. My response...bye bye Google Earth...kicked into touch! Anyone else ditto?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I've had no problem with installing the update but sites I regularly look at in the USA have gone all high contrast and low-res graphics looking. UK sites seem OK and so is Street View. Can't say I like the new look so far.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Upgraded here with no problems at all !

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had similar problems - solved when I updated the graphics card drivers. I have a rather old NVidia 7800GTX and W7.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have the latest drivers so I had a play around and discovered that if I unticked the Photorealistic box under 3D Buildings then it all became normal looking again.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

So many times over the years when I've upgraded/updated it's caused problems on my machine, that sometimes I'm reluctant to install them. The worst offenders have been the monthly Microsoft updates, which often won't install and play up during downloading....and that's before they've even been installed! Anyway my Google Earth's history now. I rarely used it and won't miss it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

working ok on w7 starter netbook, not put on xp yet prev beta version crashed xp had to delete it.

do you have xp or w7

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I'm still clinging on to XP.....and very content to do that for as long as I can!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...