We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Convert printer to wireless

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have a simple network with a wireless router (Orange - Wanadoo B8C0) directly connected by a LAN to a desktop comp (used as an email station), and a wireless laptop running Win7. I want to dump the desktop unit but my printer (an HP F380) is connected to it via a USB cable. I can print from the laptop - presumably via the router and desktop. I don't want a USB cable running from the printer to the laptop so is there any other way I can run the printer wirelessly from the laptop? There is a USB port on the router but I can't find out what it's for (Orange acquired the Wanadoo routers when they took over and don't know anything about them!) The printer and router are side by side.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

A bit more info on the router would be useful as nothing comes up in Google from your posted info.

You cannot run that particular printer wirelessly as it is not supported.But have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7v5VGO6SAg

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Until I changed over to the Orange Brightbox recently I had a Livebox - there was a usb live printer port on the livebox - could this be what you are referring to. I connected my printer to that and it was available as a live printer via the router.

Information from Orange on this here.

Unfortunately it is not available now on the Bright Box, neither is VOIP but I had to change to it when migrating to Fibre Optic broadband last week.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Brilliant difarn - all connected and printing off the router - cheers.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news - glad it works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......