We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compaq Laptop: Not booting: Black screen: No BIOS

faithhealer

Likes # 0

My 4 years old Compaq Presario c700 (C794) laptop is not booting up. Does not go into BIOS, and does not even show the message “Press F10 to enter BIOS” etc.

• I see a clear black screen (but has backlit and I am able to adjust the brightness using Fn keys). Tried on the desktop monitor, it is black too.

• The HD is running intermittently, all LEDs are on, and the fan is running.

• Windows is not booting up, there is no log on sound. WIFI light is also orange, it becomes green after booting is complete. HD activity is on but it is not as much to boot up Windows 7.

Troubleshooting I did till now:

• Hard reset by holding down the power button several times.
  • Cleaned RAM and placed it in another slot.
  • Removed the power and battery and kept it overnight.
  • Tried on the desktop monitor, it is black too.

This happened all of a sudden. I did not do any BIOS updates or anything that normally causes these kind of problem. I learned from some forums that an exhausted CMOS battery can cause it. Is it true? In this case, can you please give the location of the CMOS battery in these laptops?

What are the other measures I can take?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I doubt it's the CMOS, but if you want to try, there is a service manual here. More likely to be the graphics chip, I would have thought.

Like this post
faithhealer

Likes # 0

Thanks for the manual.

I thought it could be the Video card, but there is no sign of Windows booting up. I tried another monitor, it was black too.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

'Video card, but there is no sign of Windows booting up'

Exactly - because the screen stays black, and the same with a separate monitor, that's why I think the graphics chip is the most likely culprit.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make sure nothing in DVD drive

Disconnect all usb devices / cards

Remove HDD and see if it boots to an error message

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

as above try booting to bios with hard drive removed

Like this post
faithhealer

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last night, I removed the RAM and tried to boot. I could not hear any beeps as I was expecting. But the glow (backlit) of the screen was gone. I restored the RAM and the backlit was back.

I will remove the HD today and see.

Like this post
faithhealer

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last night, I removed the RAM and tried to boot. I could not hear any beeps as I was expecting. But the glow (backlit) of the screen was gone. I restored the RAM and the backlit was back.

I will remove the HD today and see.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Old remedy worth a try.

Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like you already tried that sorry.

Like this post
faithhealer

Likes # 0

Laptop is working after CMOS reset. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers