We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is This Computer a Bot

RegScriv

Likes # 0

My wife's computer's hard drive is continuously running/working regardless of whether nothing is being done on it. I'm worried that maybe it's been taken over as a Bot for malicious network activity. It has the latest version of Norton Internet Security fully updated, I've checked it using Malwarebytes, Advanced System Care and McAfee's Stinger but nothing is showing up. Has anyone any advice on any other check I can do for Bot type viruses/trojans etc.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Possibly windows indexing running

sounds like your anti virus / malware stuff is good enough

Have a look to see what process are running in task manager precesses tab.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"My wife's computer's hard drive is continuously running/working..."

If you're moderately experienced, and you're not running XP, then the Windows "Resource Monitor" would be a good place to start with tracking down the processes involved in causing all that disk activity - have a read here, and in particular, the "Disk" section.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response guys. I should have said that the computer is running XP. I've just run System Ninja, and excellent app for getting rid of all your junk files. It removed nearly 4000 files. It may be just coincidence but the computer is running much more quitely at the moment.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Obviously a lot less indexing to do now ;0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home