We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

flashing the bios after replacing wlan card

edd78

Likes # 0

hi there

i want to know if you need to flash the bios after a wlan card replacement. the reason that i need to flash the bios as instructed by a dell representative of dell through dell support forum is because the bluetooth is not working eg problem opening the file for the bluetooth driver i got the wlan card replaced by dell on june

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This seems a lot over the top.

Assuming a replacement LAN card should work if the original worked.

BIOS has nothing to do with opening files

exact make and model of machine? DEll what? laptop desktop?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I can only support what Fruit Bat /\0/\ says - flashing the BIOS seems well over the top*. Perhaps we haven't understood the problem correctly, as you talk about wireless LAN and Bluetooth, and I'm not sure how they're connected.

• Mind you, it could have been worse - the horror stories you hear about 'technical support' telling you to format your hard drive... :-(
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"problem opening the file for the bluetooth driver"

Is it a Dell laptop W7? maybe you had a bad download of that driver, have you tried redownloading it.

Connect to a Bluetooth Device From Your Dell Computer in Windows 7 and basic troubleshooting assistance.

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

hi all

the reason that i am asking the question about the wlan card plus the bluetooth driver not working is one day i can send pictures ect via bluetooth to laptop then i got wlan card replaced by dell due to internet connection problems then just recently i tried to send pictures to laptop vi bluetooth and just wont work when i press the windows button the go to devices there is a orange triangle to let me know of a error so i cant remember if this happened before i got a new wlan card fitted or after i got it fitted so i want to kniw if flashing the bios is the way forward to fix this fault

thanks for taking time to read

regards eddie

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

hi all

the reason that i am asking the question about the wlan card plus the bluetooth driver not working is one day i can send pictures ect via bluetooth to laptop then i got wlan card replaced by dell due to internet connection problems then just recently i tried to send pictures to laptop vi bluetooth and just wont work when i press the windows button the go to devices there is a orange triangle to let me know of a error so i cant remember if this happened before i got a new wlan card fitted or after i got it fitted so i want to kniw if flashing the bios is the way forward to fix this fault

thanks for taking time to read

regards eddie

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do Not Flash the BIOS

click on the card in device manager and select properties and tell us what the error message says.

probably no drivers installed

exact model no of your Dell?

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

hi fruit bat /0\

yes you are right it says no driver installed code 28. i have tried to download drivers from dell but no joy so i got in contact with a dell representative throw the support forums and gave him various error messages and tried again to download driver and uninstall/reinstall intel proset/wireless software for bluetooth to my frustration it never worked so i got adviced to flash the bios (never heard of the until now) on research i heard that it can make my laptop unusable if done wrong since i am a novice with computers i am not willing to give that a go

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

hi fruit bat /0\

the dell laptop that i have is a inspiron N5110

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You still haven't told us what model dell you have!

SIW will tell you exactly what kind of card is installed and we can then search for the correct drivers.

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

hi fruit bat /0\

the laptop that i have is a dell inspiron N5110

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen