We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pop-up URL Display

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

A good, fairly simplistic article on Hacking from the BBC website which also includes some common sense advice.

I have a quick question - in the last section under THOUGHTLESSNESS, and I'll quote :

"How many of us when reading an apparently valid link in an email would bother to check whether the link is actually valid or whether instead it takes you to a malicious site. It's horribly easy to make links look valid so try hovering your cursor over the link for a few seconds before clicking to see what the real link is: the true link pops up if you give it a moment."

Where it says "try hovering your cursor over the link for a few seconds . . . the true link pops up if you give it a moment"

Well, it doesn't pop-up on my computer, but I seem to remember it doing so in the past. If this is a feature, I may have accidentally disabled it and I'd like it back please !! Can anyone tell me where the setting is please?

I do get little yellow boxes popping up where it's been programmed into the HTML, for example in the PCA website / forum in the Subjects for Discussion list, hover over (for example) Forum Editor and it displays "Started by Forum Editor" in a yellow box.

I can see the URL in the status bar of IE, bottom left hand corner - perhaps that what the article is referring to? Yes / No ?

Perhaps it's an old feature and Prof Woodward is out of date?

Whatever, if you can assist please post a comment

Thanks in advance Phil

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As the doctor says .......

Here is an example - the link says PC Advisor, but hovering the cursor over it shows a different destination in the bottom left hand corner. In this case it is not malicious.

PC Advisor Helproom

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Where it says "try hovering your cursor over the link for a few seconds . . . the true link pops up if you give it a moment"....Well, it doesn't pop-up on my computer..."

If you're using an e-mail client (such as Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail) then you'll only see the mouse-over URL if the "Status Bar" is enabled. If you're missing that horizontal bar at the very bottom then you can enable it via the one of the View options. Post back with more details if you need step-by-step instructions for this.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Thanks SS but quote:

"I can see the URL in the status bar of IE, bottom left hand corner - perhaps that what the article is referring to? Yes / No ?"

so no need for further instructions but thanks anyway.

Sea Urchin - yes; thanks, but I was expecting a yellow box with the URL in.

If the status bar shows what would be in the yellow box, then that's good enough for me. Thx. Thread closed :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...