We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT and Plusnet Modems

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I am currently with BT for telephone and broadband, but could get a similar package from Plusnet for about £6 a month less.However, I see that BT claim that the Home Hub is worth £99 but Plusnet only claim that their router is worth half that. There must be differences between them, but would I notice those differences in practice?

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

. . . and both of them probably only cost 50p to manufacture in the far east (and probably cost BT twice as much to purchase!!)

BT have to justify their massive monthly charges so telling us that their modem is worth £99 is just part of the big con (imho).

Mind you, it's a good job BT are there - it gives others like TT and PlusNet a good starting point for price comparisons where they can state "Save over £110 against BTs 18 month contract). I notice TT doesn't use PlusNet in their comparison table, just the three most expensive ISPs.

(btw, I thought PlusNet were part of BT?)

No, you probably will not notice much difference in practice, although you might even get a better speed from one or the other depending on which ISPs have been LLUd at your local exchange. Google samknows and your local exchange name.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I'll make it easy for you - don't bother getting a Home Hub as I've found them mostly unreliable and temperamental.

I've fixed a lot of broadband and wireless problems and other glitches over the last two years or so by replacing the user's Home Hub with one of these. Don't let the cheap price put you off as that particular model is an excellent performer. If you decide to buy one from that webpage then I'd recommend you choose the option to buy direct from Amazon rather than one of their third-party "Marketplace" sellers.

I can certainly recommend PlusNet - they're one of the best ISPs around in my opinion with a great UK-based call-centre staffed by friendly knowledgeable folk.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Another satisfied PlusNet customer here...

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Don't BT Group own Plusnet??

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Yes they do own Plusnet and also ,I believe, Dabs.com. Been with Plusnet quite a few years and would recomend them.Technical service is very good.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

In your link there are two Routers being shown, TD.W8960ND and TD.W8961ND which is apparently a newer model and slightly cheaper. Both available from Amazon.co.uk direct. Which is the one you are recommending? I am also with Plusnet, with their router Technicolor TG582n Plusnet, but just thought the Router you suggest may be somewhat quicker.

TonyV

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi Tony

My link takes you direct to the webpage for the TP-Link TD-W8960N and that's the one I'm recommending. Ignore the link to the newer model as I haven't tried it, and I'm not likely to either as the customer reviews are nowhere near as good as they are for the TD-W8960N.

I can't guarantee that it will improve your connection speeds - but at that price it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't perform as you hoped.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks for that. On top of that, I have to say that I have been with Plusnet for a goodly number of years now, and have to admit that their customer service is extremely good and they are always willing to talk and recommend changes if and when a problem arises. I feel pretty confident that if Newuser939 goes with Plusnet I very much doubt that he will be disappointed! For instance, when I changed to an iMAC from a PC, the Wireless connection was garbage, and Apple recommended I contacted my ISP, Plusnet. This I did and they sent out the new router mentioned in my missive above at no cost, but an extension to my contract with them. This really wasn't a problem for me and accepted it willingly.

TonyV

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm also with Plusnet and use the TD-W8960N router. Great bit of kit and cheap at the price. The ISP is also very good.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Is the QSS button on the TP-Link TD-W8960N the same as a WPS button?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features