We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows XP Professional SP3 installed on my DELL OPTIPLEX GX260 computer. On shutdown I get the message at the top of a Blue screen:-

STOP:c000021a{Fatal System Error} The windows Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a Status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down. At startup I get a message "winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close."

After clicking on 'click here' I get:-

Error signature

szAppName:winlogon.exe szAppver:0.0.0.0 szModName:uxtheme.dll

szModVer:6.0.2900.5512 offset:00002f93

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are you getting into XP at all?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It sounds to me as if you or a program you tried to install has tried to change themes and visual styles. Go to Control Panel, Admin tools, Component services, services, themes and rightclick on themes, choose Properties and change from auto to disabled and see if that fixes it.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

dr yes - I've ran sfc and after a while it prompted me to insert a XP Prof disk (which I do not have) ... I tried a genuine XP home disk, but it did not want to know.

FruitBat - yes I can get into XP ... but only with that error appearing all the time.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic - I'll give that a go.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic - I've tried 'themes' setting to disable, as per your instructions, (nae good), but then I tried the manual setting (out of curiosity) for 'themes' ... after 3 shutdowns and 3 restarts ... all is well. No winlogon errors or blue screens! Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

sfc sometimes asks for the original installation disc for Windows XP.

you need to change some registry settings to get it to look for the pre -installed folders on the hard drive especially the i386 folder which will be in either C:\i386 or C:\windows\i386

Start - Run -type

regedit

press ok

Navigate to:

HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup

Look for and reset

SourcePath

Its entry is probably pointing to your DVD drive, that is why it is asking for the XP CD. You need to change it to:

C:* or *C:\Windows (depending on where the i386 folder is located)

Double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Navigate to:

HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

Make sure the entry here is the same path to the I386 folder as used above

Navigate to:

HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath

This should be pointing to the location C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles (assuming C:\ is the boot drive.)

Then restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks FruitBat - Your instructions have been noted - I think a complete backup of my Optiplex would be a good idea, now that 'things' are running smoothly, again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sfc /scannow Just a note, to say on my Dell XP SP3 even after doing all the changes (about 2 years ago) that Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said, it still asks for the cds, in turn xp sp2 and xp sp3

I never did get it to work for me. (I have original xp sp2 dvd and I slip-streamed sp3 to make my own xp sp3 dvd). So if anyone does get it to work I'd be interested to find out which setting I've missed. (yes I have got C:\i386 folder)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Aitchbee, fingers crossed that it's sorted. Good idea to try the Manual setting when other didn't work.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've switched over to the Optiplex [online here] ... so seems the problem has been resolved, thankfully. You never know what's round the corner... hee hee.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more