We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CHKDSK frozen - how do I cancel it?

terryblom

Likes # 0

Hi, I am helping a neighbour with a laptop problem - it would only boot in safe mode (after flashing a blue screen). I started a chkdsk, which froze after 2 minutes. Rebooted the laptop and now it goes straight into chkdsk, which then freezes. Catch 22. My neighbour is not impressed. Please help ! Thanks, terry.

Like this post
terryblom

Likes # 0

Oh, by the way, the laptop is running Windows XP, sp3.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you can still get into Safe Mode you can stop CHKDSK by using the /c command. See the 3rd. Post here.

A full set of commands available here.

How far through the check did it get? It goes through a number of steps which show up on the screen. Each is a different function and may take some time to complete. If the HDD is faulty it may hang and not function properly.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

1st) your need a BartPE cd really useful tool, this means to create one you will need a full xp install disk, don’t worry their wont be installing of xp today.

2nd) Once you have your Bartpe disk go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm this page has instructions on how to edit the computers registry while under the bart pe environment, or their is plug-in for bart pe you can use to do this.

3rd) remove the entries that schedule disk check chkdsk from the registry follow the instructions on the Microsoft page. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158675

It might be necessary if you are sucessful to do a repair install of Windows XP.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you say it freezes it may be trying to reed a bad cluster and re-organize he clusters so it does not write to bad sector. so you should leave it for a while before a reboot

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...