We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP!!! LAPTOP WONT FIRE UP AT ALL!!!

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I logged off my Acer 5535 laptop lat night and now it wont fire up at all, the power adaptor is fine, its charging the battery and its nothing to do with my router as I am runing a little netbook in its place, the screen is totally blank and it wont open up the windows XP homepage at all, its totally dead, there is no wifi lamp lighting up, I cant imagine what can be wrong here, these things ALWAYS happen when I am travelling!!! I cant even get any keys to work, its lighting up the battery charging light only! I can feel it getting warm underneath and the fan is working in the HD area,will I be able to retrieve any of the date on the HD and will I need to buy a complete new laptop?? SH*T SH&T SH8T!!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just an observation - can you check the lid closed switch hasn't become jammed - it is usually located near the hinges. Try pressing it in a few times.

Do you have another power adapter? It is possible that a faulty adapter can supply just enough power to light up the power light and a fan but not much more.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Need to determine if its not booting or just screen / graphics

HD fan working and gets warm and sound from hard drive?

tried connecting to an external monitor or TV?

tried removing HDD and see if it boots to error message?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Hope it's not this problem, link

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

I had a stuck lid switch that caused exactly this problem - simple to check, just wiggle it a bit! Good Luck!

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

how do I check the lid switch? there doesnt seem to be anything that turns the screen off (my other older Acer has a rubber press down switch that just sticks up from the back, but this one (Acer 5535) only seemos to have hinges on it and no other type of switch, I dont think this the power adaptor as that was working fine yesterday, I dont know how to connect the laptop to a TV set, and dont have all thse extra wire and claptrap for doing that. I think I will have to buy a new laptop really but would like to get the documetns and photos out of this one, its a shabby laptop I have NEVER liked, very shabby Acer crap, battery housing broke after 1 year, My original acer is a wondeful laptop over 8 years old but this one is a horrible cheaply made (spit and cardboard) thing, Thanks laptopdunce

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You could remove the HDD and secure it in a caddy then connect it to your other PC via USB so you can copy your docs, music etc. Something like this.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will be better off with something like this, which will take drives up to 500 GB. To do with the thickness of the drive I think. The other one only shows compatible to 120 GB drives.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It may be that this model has a magnetic lid switch and there is a contact problem causing the laptop to stay in hibernation mode. Have you tried shutting and opening the lid several times? If this does work, however briefly, it may give you the opportunity to copy your data.

To connect the laptop to a second monitor you will need the relevant cable, depending on the fixings you have on each piece of equipment. VGA, DVI, HDMI.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried it without the battery installed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ reconnected power adaptor cord ONLY and then pressed power button on and then quickly off ]

Not sure why you did that.Did it look as though it was going to start and you switched it off.Try doing the same again hold the on button in for 30 seconds and when you connect the power cord just press the start button without the battery being installed.

Or try again this time when you have the battery and power cord disconnected if there is a radiator in the room hold on to that with one hand and press the start button for 30 seconds.Connect the power cord and once again hold on to the radiator with one hand and press the start button with the other.

If in fact it does start just connect your battery to it while it is running.

Seems a bit of a fantasy but that method actually worked for me when nothing else would.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added