We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP!!! LAPTOP WONT FIRE UP AT ALL!!!

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I logged off my Acer 5535 laptop lat night and now it wont fire up at all, the power adaptor is fine, its charging the battery and its nothing to do with my router as I am runing a little netbook in its place, the screen is totally blank and it wont open up the windows XP homepage at all, its totally dead, there is no wifi lamp lighting up, I cant imagine what can be wrong here, these things ALWAYS happen when I am travelling!!! I cant even get any keys to work, its lighting up the battery charging light only! I can feel it getting warm underneath and the fan is working in the HD area,will I be able to retrieve any of the date on the HD and will I need to buy a complete new laptop?? SH*T SH&T SH8T!!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

I had a stuck lid switch that caused exactly this problem - simple to check, just wiggle it a bit! Good Luck!

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

how do I check the lid switch? there doesnt seem to be anything that turns the screen off (my other older Acer has a rubber press down switch that just sticks up from the back, but this one (Acer 5535) only seemos to have hinges on it and no other type of switch, I dont think this the power adaptor as that was working fine yesterday, I dont know how to connect the laptop to a TV set, and dont have all thse extra wire and claptrap for doing that. I think I will have to buy a new laptop really but would like to get the documetns and photos out of this one, its a shabby laptop I have NEVER liked, very shabby Acer crap, battery housing broke after 1 year, My original acer is a wondeful laptop over 8 years old but this one is a horrible cheaply made (spit and cardboard) thing, Thanks laptopdunce

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You could remove the HDD and secure it in a caddy then connect it to your other PC via USB so you can copy your docs, music etc. Something like this.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will be better off with something like this, which will take drives up to 500 GB. To do with the thickness of the drive I think. The other one only shows compatible to 120 GB drives.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It may be that this model has a magnetic lid switch and there is a contact problem causing the laptop to stay in hibernation mode. Have you tried shutting and opening the lid several times? If this does work, however briefly, it may give you the opportunity to copy your data.

To connect the laptop to a second monitor you will need the relevant cable, depending on the fixings you have on each piece of equipment. VGA, DVI, HDMI.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Yes, mine died almost exactly the same. About 5 days later I was demonstrating how it wasn't working to the brother in law and for some reason it came back on and has been working normally since. Strange. In the meantime, I got a caddy and shuffled the pictures and documents off onto the desktop. Phew - glad the HDD still worked!!

Various random theories about things that have worked for people - however, if you think about it, all these things "just happened" to work - they were the last things that person tried, and at that particular juncture the computer suddenly worked again, like THAT THING I JUST DID was the miracle cure.

If any of these miracle cures have worked on a reproducible basis, that would be a better one to document. As it is, they're all just random occurrences. Sorry.

My particular miracle method is to first make sure it's a Thursday, remove the battery, connect to the mains, stand on one leg, ensure the telly is tuned to Dave, make sure the wife is out, hold the car key to your ear and press "Unlock" continuously whilst rapidly pressing the on/off button. Always works for me (once anyway ha ha).

To baste the bird, add a bottle of gin, a bottle of rum, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of scotch, roast for 4 hours 30 minutes, remove from the oven, throw away the bird and sup the gravy. Random. Ha Ha!!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Phil, I can confirm (from experience) that the fix I mentioned in post #2 does indeed work for the vast majority of occasions where a laptop is turned on from cold, the lights come on, but there's nothing on the screen.

I do agree though that there's some confusion on this thread about the order of the steps required to implement the fix properly. The main thing that fixes the problem is the removal of all power sources - and that is usually all that's required. Holding down the power button is an added measure as it discharges any residual power in the RAM modules and motherboard. A few seconds is more than enough. The final step is turn the laptop on again. It doesn't matter whether you reconnect just the AC, or AC and battery, or hold down the button for 30 seconds instead of 10.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. See if it boots

Gets rid of excess static - this has proven to work several times for me and have posted same on forum and been confirmed as working several times as well.

7.Refit battery and retry to boot (sometimes a dead battery can overload the power supply board and stop it from booting.

1. remove HDD and reattempt to boot should see an error message - a bad HDD can stop a boot during POST.

2. Change CMOS battery - been known to stop a laptop during boot.

Everything else after this starts to get expensive as your then looking at motherboard / screen renewals.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best camera phone of 2015: iPhone 6 Plus vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 vs One M9 vs Nexus 6

IDG UK Sites

In defence of BlackBerrys

IDG UK Sites

Why we should reserve judgement on Apple ditching Helvetica in OS X/iOS for the Apple Watch's San...

IDG UK Sites

Retina 3.3GHz iMac 27in preview: Apple cuts £400 of price of Retina iMac with new model