We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems booting up laptop.

eem2am

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am using a Toshiba Satellite C650D Laptop with Windows 7 home premium. I bought this laptop in July 2010.

I often have to shut down and start up 3 or 4 times before the laptop starts up properly.

Sometimes it starts up and presents a screen full of icons as normal, but doesnt do anything when i click them................i then have to shut down by pressing and holding the power button, -then try starting up again.

Sometimes it starts up and just gives a black screen with nothing but the mouse pointer on it.......and stays like that........meaning i then have to shut down by pressing and holding the power button, -then try starting up again.

It often starts up and gives me the choice "launch startup repair" or "start windows normally" ......i always choose "start windows normally" because in the past, trying "launch startup repair" has just led nowhere.

Do you know whats wrong?...and how i can fix it.?

I am using Norton Antivirus and did a full system scan but it showed no threats. I also ran a disk cleanup (defragmentation) but this hasnt helped

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Before you go any further - If you haven't burnt your recovery dvds, now is the time to do it. Read thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4193345/scannow-stops-at-81-per-cent/ and the links to guides on how to do it are on the posts.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Spam by thuhai6,

FE Informed..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite