We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you need Anti Virus on a smart phone

Border View

Likes # 0

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I've noticed amongst the available apps an AVG antivirus.

Do I need anti virus on a smart phone. I usually only use it for Whatsapp. Have not got used to searching the web prefer my desktop computer for more detailed internet browsing.

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

I baught a Smart Phone 3 weeks ago and I put AVG Antivirus on my phone, The reason being that I have the internet access on it and feel that as I can go online then I could pickup viruses, just like a desktop computer, so must be protected just like a desktop.

For your protection, I would suggest you install it.

Audeal.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Android is a target for malware and it is a good idea to have an antivirus.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Will anti-virus protect you from malware? I am ofay with desk tops and have Microsoft Security Essential plus malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware free edition. I thought that malware could get past anti-virus.

Bit confused now. Advice needed on how to protect my smart phone which I sometimes gain access to the internet. Mainly to use Whatsapp.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would put AVG free on.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Try Lookout. Will also locate your phone amongst other things

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have the paid for Version of Lookout for £19.99 per year and it covers my Galaxy S phone and Galaxy 10.1 tablet. With the GPS activated my home can establish as to where I am at any time from Lookout installed on my home PC. If it stolen or missing tghey can be located.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Good question from the originator, but can I add further?.

I have recently taken possession of a Vodafone 354 mobile, which apparently can be used for sending emails and a bit of internet browsing via Opera (?).

There no mention from the suppliers about using any Antiwares or security programs. Would I need them, if so, I would I download them.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi spuds - no you are not hi jacking the thread. Just showing the confusion. I am not sure now what I need to protect my mobile.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does this help? Personally I would put something on in the view that it is better to be safe than sorry.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Woolwell. Makes for good reading.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen