We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing ISP when using Vista Windows Mail

Graham1958

Likes # 0

Hi, I am about to change address and my ISP. I am currently using bt as my provider and my email address is tied in with them. If I change ISP am I bound to lose this address?

Thanks.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"If I change ISP am I bound to lose this address?"

Yes you will Graham.

However, if want to keep it and don't mind paying a small subscription then here's what you need.

Like this post
Graham1958

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel, I owe you a beer. That should give me time to get another account set up and get everything swapped over. I know it would be easier with a hotmail or whatever account but I just can't give up windows mail!

Many thanks.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I use Windows Live Mail for both my hotmail and gmail so you don't need to give it up.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

It's Windows Mail in Vista. Changing ISP won't alter Windows Mail but to still use BT's mail in Windows Mail client Graham1958 will have to fork out to retain the email addy until he can change his email to a web based type and can inform all of his contacts of the change. Gmail is one that easily integrates to Windows Mail. AOL mail, the same. Then you have Hotmail, Live.co.uk, Outlook.com....

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Well I left O2 over 12 months ago and I'm still using their o2 email address !

I'm with Sky broadband now.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly, you're talking BT now.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Just to clarify my earlier post (7.02 pm 14/12) - I would give up BT's email and go to gmail which works well with Windows Mail. You don't have to give up Windows Mail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more