We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pop-up ad virus within script - help please!

carmel123

Likes # 0

Hi, We have a malware adware problem. Basically on online forums certain words in the text are highlighted, and a pop-up ad for eg Apple appears. Our existing anti-virus software didn't detect it so we have downloaded and paid for Spy Hunter, which hasn't got rid of it, and also run scans from the free download Avast which also hasn't worked. We are starting to tear our hair out! Any ideas please? It's a laptop and we use Windows 7 and Firefox. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You haven't got a pop-up ad virus. What you are seeing is quite normal. It is 'inline advertising' 'skimlinks' 'intellitxt' etc. when your mouse cursor is on one of these an advert pops up.

You will need an AdBlocker addon for your browser if you want to stop most of them. I use FireFox and have the extension addon: AdBlockPlus

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Probably not really a virus just away that free sites (such as this one PCA) pay for themselves with advertising, that's why your anti virus and anti malware programs haven't sorted it.

I use an Add on call NoScript which allows you to block all sorts of things but may need tweaking to allow some of the things you want to see in a site. If I fully block PCA for instance I cannot post links using the Globe.

NoScript here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

lotvic

looks like we're cross posting again :0)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, I like to think of it as confirming each others advice :) I'm off out now so won't be posting again till evening :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...