We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good BroadBand Speeds but Poor Ping results!

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have asked my ISP about slow web pages and poor ping results they have advised the the ping results are ok, but the time for the first hop between the PC and my Routes is where the worst of the time delay occurs, and have advised that I look at my Anti-Virus and Firewall programmes as they may be the reason for the delays. I am using ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus and Firewall (the all in one programme) Spybot and Spyware Blaster, also DoNotTrackMe and Rapport in Firefox. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. The PC seems to be slowing down in general, I have run cclean and this has found many problems with the Resgister and cleared them out. Does anyone have some ideas for checking programmes which may slow the ping times. My Broadband speed is averaging 5200mbps which is very good! So some thing must be causing the problems, but what?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I would suggest that you try another Anti-virus (perhaps microsoft security essentials or AVG free) and disable spybot, spyware blaster, do not track me and rapport and see if there is any change. Is your pc wireless or wired? If wireless have you made sure that your wireless adapter driver is up to date?

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

I am using a wired LAN, and will try the other suggestions, thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Download the ZA removal tool here.. Select the author's download. Brings another page up but ignore. Look to bottom of page and select 'save'. Once you know where the download went then boot to safe mode and run the removal tool. Reboot. Win 7 firewall is good enough. Search for a better Antivirus, AVG or Avast7 for example. Install new Antivirus. Check your ping.

Spybot is benign if you don't use teatimer and will create a hosts file to block unwanted sites. Spywareblaster is similar but uses the registry.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

How are you checking for Ping, because some ISP's will ask you to do a precise test that can trace the faults and hold-ups. With my ISP, the results are then sent direct to their engineer base.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Bad site from googlegirl,Best not downloading anything from it.

From WOT which is not always correct but better than nothing.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/scanmyspeed.com?utmsource=addon&utmcontent=warn-viewsc

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had no end of problems with Rapport, so would ditch that and see if any improvement.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. Tried googlegirl's link - no problem, and gave similar results to scantest.net

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'scantest.net'

Sorry - meant speedtest.net.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm a bit wary of scanmyspeed.com as on Whois I get this info:

We have 12 historical records for Scanmyspeed.com. The oldest record dates back more than 1 year. There are at least 6 significant changes. None of the records publish domain name ownership data; they all use a privacy or proxy service.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I found I get different ping test results depending on which of my routers I use.

Using the ping test that was at speedtest.net (the ping test seems to have been taken off the site now), both of my 3com routers would fail the ping test. Whereas the Thomson TG585 (suuplied by my ISP) would pass the test with flying colours. In spite of that I use one of the 3com routers as, in practice, it seems to work fine and I prefer the flexibility that the 3com routers give in terms of set-up and security.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...