We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FAT vs FAT32 vs exFAT

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

ASUS M5A + Phenom IIx2 + 4gb RAM + Win 7 (32) + NTFS

My Son came round yesterday with a 400gb external hdd. His game station (no idea) won't recognise the files and said to format. I lifted everything off it & tried to format it yesterday - via DOS (g: /fs:fat32).

It took all day - then it said there was no room (or similar).

Today, I've partitioned it to roughly 50/50% and am currently formatting 1 partition to FAT32 (I hope).

I never did understand the FAT /NTFS / FAT32 thing,,,, and never saw exFAT until yesterday.

What is the ultimate format for an external hdd of this size ?

If it doesn’t take this time, what am I doing wrong ?

I don't recall ever having to download a separate program to do this.

cheers guys

all the very best for the Season

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Seem to have deleted the opening line of my post. It should have started

For those who don't know about exFAT...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bremner, thanks for that, I've downloaded it. I'm hoping it solves my problem of large film size (over 4GB) on freesat pvr transferring to usb harddrive then to my xp pc.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Not sure if the PVR will recognise exFAT but worth a try.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yeah, I'm going to look in manual.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Fat32 wastes a lot of disk space when saving files, the bigger the partition the more space it wastes. NTFS or NT for short is better for new computers as long as you do not want to share files with Fat32 Win98 etc; as it cannot see NT system files, and its a lot better on the use of disc space

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...