We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Out of the blue im getting Windows did not pass genuine windows validation

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi a friend of mine has had his Dell desktop for years now and out of the blue he has been getting a box on start up saying that it had failed the windows genuine validation and clicks the box Resolve where he is taken to the website and this is what he is told,

**Enter a genuine Windows product key. The product key used to activate Windows on your PC is a volume license key that has been blocked by Microsoft.**

He has not had any problems before with this and does not know what to do for the best the only option offerd on thier website is to buy windows 7. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

xox101, you seem to be confusing the issue of the product keys. Activation and Validation are two different processes. The Activated key that is used for validation is the one that is on the install on the C:\ drive - the one that Magical Jellybean Keyfinder will find. The OP friend seems to have a VLK at the moment, this is not a Dell Product License key.

There are two more Product keys available, the inbuilt and pre-activated OEM SLP key that is on the Dell re-installation DVD and the Product key that is on the sticker on the case.

Whichever one of the three keys is used will need to go through Validation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For confirmation of info in my posts please read social.microsoft.com/Forums /is/genuinewindowsxp/thread

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

I think it was more my wording was wrong rather than me being confused but if I have caused confusion then apologies.

I did of course mean that the three reinstalls I have done over the last few weeks passed online activation as opposed to validation. All three have however also passed validation using the WGA tool when installing software. At no time did I have to ring MS and as I said I haven't had to do so for many years and many installs!

My original comments still stand though. Using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder will find the key and it's type (OEM or Retail) that is being used now. Comparing this to the key on the sticker is the simplest way of working out whether or not the key being used now is the correct one.

If the keys match then it is, if not then it isn't and from there the OP will have to decide what to do.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Additionally I know we have Dell desktops in work that use VLK's. These machines also have the MS sticker complete with license key but the keys are not used as when the PC's are imaged the VLK is used. Not sure about laptops though so perhaps it depends on where the laptop was bought from (new or secondhand) as to whether the laptop install uses a VLK.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder will find the key and it's type (OEM or Retail) that is being used now."

Correct

"Comparing this to the key on the sticker is the simplest way of working out whether or not the key being used now is the correct one"

Wrong

because the dell oem product key on the sticker is not a Master Royalty SLP key.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For further info on my last post social.microsoft.com/Forums although thread is for dell vista it is same for xp.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My last word on the Product Keys, this explains in detail how it works, please read it.

Question about Windows product keys

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

I stand corrected and thank you for the info. We learn something new every day.

But in all my years of reinstalling Windows on many different makes of both desktop and laptop I have never seen a difference in the key that is reported by Keyfinder and the key that is on the sticker. Also each and every time I have reinstalled Windows using the key on the sticker it has never failed to activate. Perhaps I have just been lucky?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

xox101, I hadn't intended filling Sparkly's thread with all this info, but as there seems to be some puzzlement I will attempt some form of clarification, I am not an expert in all of the various types of licenses, I have learnt about them as and when needed.

"Perhaps I have just been lucky?"

maybe you had ordinary system builders oem not Royalty SLP (SLIC) oem Master product keys. Windows License Types Explained. and also a little bit about Volume Licensing for organisations as there are different types of VLK.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi again thanks for all the advice lotvic used the disc he had all installed ok activation went through and was ok, i downloaded the WGA Tool installed and got an ok from that aswell checked in the system properties and he has the Registerd to XXXX and allso the product ID has numbers and the oem now, thanks to all who have contributed. Sparkly

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...