We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new laptop battery charge cycle

willyv

Likes # 0

hi here, i have a new laptop battery and was wondering what is the first first charge cycle to optimise battery life. i have read that you plug it in , disconnect charge and completely empty it before charging. Alternatively i have read to fully charge before hand. the actual instructions a re clearly a translation and tricky to comprehend. Whats the normal go for a new battery? Cheers

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I would suggest you put the laptop on charge until the indicator shows 100% and then leave it for a further hour; this is similar to recommendations made for digital camera batteries. There is a very good site for battery information which may also be of interest.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Battery charging changed when the 'memory effect' came into being and started to cause confusion. I always suggest if its a new product, and the instructions do not offer much advice, then contact the manufacturer or retailer for advice. By doing that, you will or should safeguard your legal rights, if things go wrong.

Battery warranties can be very difficult as to how and what is covered and for how long.

Like this post
willyv

Likes # 0

hi all, my laptop doesnt seem to recognise the new battery, even tho it works the battery icon in bottom tray is empty and if you hover the mouse over it says 'unknown remaining' please help!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback