We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SSD for Dell Vostro 430

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I am trying to find out if anyone has tried to install a SSD on a Dell Vostro 430. I have tried to get some information out of Dell but blood from a stone would be easier.

I want to know if I can simply install a SSD and then reinstall Windows 7 Pro from my Dell disks, or whether Dell has hidden information on the original boot disk which is required for installation. I would have thought this to be a simple question for Dell to answer, but it seems not.

The recommended SSD from Crucial is a 128GB v4 @ £67.33.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

No reason why you shouldn't try. I have fitted quite a few SSD's now and reinstalled 7 and 8 with no problem. Disconnect your original disc from the motherboard before doing a reinstall. Windows sometimes sticks the reserved 100mb partition on the second disc instead of the boot disc.

Once you have Windows installed on the SSD go into the bios and change the boot order so the PC boots from the new install and not the old one.

Then copy over what you need from the old disc to the new one.

Make sure Defrag is turned off in the scheduler!

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

That's useful thanks. What is the relevance of turning off Defrag? Does it suddenly kick in during installation?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Turn off defrag after installation. Bit more info here.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

There is no need to defrag an SSD as it has it's own defragging software built in. Defragging an SSD will shorten it's lifetime considerably as each block can only be written to a finite number of times. Normal use will see the drive last for years though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...