We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building my first PC (Sort of)

JaaTurner

Likes # 0

Hey Guys,

I am new to building PC's, and know basically nothing - but I know enough not to buy something from PC world or wherever.

So I have decided on the following components...

(Motherboard) Asus P8Z77 V LX (CPU) i5 3570K (RAM) Patriot 8gb (2x4gb) 16000mhz (SSD) Samsung 120gb 840 Series SATA 6 gb/s (HDD) Seagate Barricuda 3TB (DVD) Samsung 24x SATA OEM half height (PSU) 550w 120mm SATA PFC (Case) Zalman Z11 plus

Primarily this PC will be for browsing online, and storage of Pictures. So graphics and soundcard will both be integrated.

I chose a solid state drive to install either windows 7 or 8, any advice regarding which I should use? will these parts all work in windows 8 for example?

Am I missing any components or vital cables? Will I need special connectors? Will the motherboard even fit in the case or support my chosen components?

As I am useless I will (hopefully)have my friend build it for me. But any advice/tips from you guys would be greatfully recieved.

Thank you

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Simple go buy ready built,building it yourself sounds fine ,but and it's a big but,damage any components you get and your "cheap" computer can get expensive.you get a guarantee with a bought one,lastly as you as you say "useless" why are you getting a friend to build it for you.As a matter of fact i have a £319 pc from pcworld (No sniggering you lot,lol)and it runs Microsoft Fsx at full graphics no problem,and i got a years guarantee on it ,more with statuary EU laws.Look up your ideal pc price the components and you'll find it probably costs more to make yourself.

Like this post
JaaTurner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the input Mole, I did have a good look around, but no PC that I seen was built the way I wanted. I really want the 3TB HDD, and the SSD for my OS. The parts come to around £630. I can't see any PC's at that price that come even close to what I want. My friend built his own PC - and it works...So I hope he can put mine together too. Fingers crossed.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Quoted: << Primarily this PC will be for browsing online, and storage of Pictures. So graphics and soundcard will both be integrated. >>

Then some of your chosen components are overkill ,here are more realistic alternatives:

Asus P8H61-MX USB3 Socket 1155 VGA DVI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard £38 click here

Intel Core i3 3220 3.30GHz Socket 1155 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £96 click here

Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory £31 click here

Crucial 128GB M4 SSD £90 click here

Seagate 3TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive £100 click here

Samsung SH-224BB SATA DVD Write Optical Drive | OEM £14 click here

Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Case With Elite 500W PSU £63 click here

£430-ish on free delivery + Win7 £70 click here

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1271, this would suit your needs . The added advantage of buying pre built is warranty .

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Quoted: << The added advantage of buying pre built is warranty . >>

Non pre-built components come with minimum 1-3 years warranty too ,only difference is that you yourself will be supporting the life time warranty which I personally think is better especially if one wants to learn as it goes.

I reckon the OP wants particularly a SSD & 3TB HDD for his computing needs, a fast CPU isn't crucial here. That'll make your Scan system very expensive without them.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Upto a point I agree with you , but as Jaa is not building it himself , and by his own admisson has little or no PC knowhow , I woud personally advise the premiums option , but to each his own . Also the scan system is easily upgraded to whatever spec you like , with the cost being clearly shown . So rather depends on budget .

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Sorry , that should say prebuilt , not premium !

Like this post
JaaTurner

Likes # 0

Hey you guys, thanks very much for all your input. To Retep888 - you are spot on thatmany of my choices are a bit extreme, but I suppose would like the option to add a decent GPU at a later date, plus my current PC is so damn slow, I wanted something significantly faster.

Well, I have been busy checking out guides and videos most of the day, and I hope I don't sound too overconfident, but it looks...well maybe not simple...but certainly a lot less daunting than I thought it would be. So I might even give it a go myself.

Anyway I have passed the point of no return, and have ordered my components, with a few alterations, going way over my budget! In the end I spent £732! Including fast track delivery - something I would normally never ever pay for. Mental I know. But you gotta love getting a new PC!!!

I just want to say thank you guys for all your advice, much appreciated.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< But you gotta love getting a new PC!!! >>

Yes , I still remember the frill when my first built Win98 tower with a mere 64MB Ram & 10GB HDD booted up. :)

Enjoy your new PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...