We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First time set up of Wireless router with an I Pad

iscanut2
Resolved

Likes # 0

When you set up a wireless router for the first time with a pc, one uses the ethernet cable to do this. How does one do this with an I Pad as there is no ethernet cable connection as far as I know.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" How does one do this with an I Pad as there is no ethernet cable connection..."

Use a wireless connection. New routers will either have no wireless security enabled, or if they do, the details will be on the back of the router or on a leaflet in the box. When you've logged into the router via WiFi you can carry out all the configuration tasks you need.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unusual to have just an iPad and a router. I would set up the router using a laptop then connect the iPad.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Thanks, but I was wondering how you connect without having set up your IP details and log in passsword etc... Woolwell..I was thinking of the scenario of having just an I Pad and no other pc.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Same as an iPhone - settings, wifi, choose a network then input the security code.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"but I was wondering how you connect without having set up your IP details and log in passsword etc.."

Sorry but I don't know what you mean regarding "IP details" - you don't need to know that stuff as the router and your Internet provider assign you all the IP addresses you need automatically.

To configure a router via WiFi you first establish a wireless connection between your iPad and router. Next, open up the Safari browser and type the address of the router's configuration screen into the Address Bar - it's usually an address that looks like 192.168.1.1 etc. Once you're in you can setup all the details for your Internet provider and change any wireless settings. Additionally, nowadays a lot of web-based router configuration screens have a "Quick Setup" option that makes the whole process remarkably easy.

The worst that can happen is that if you change a wireless setting you may get disconnected and you'll need to reconnect again.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

........should've added that the router is likely to come with a leaflet or booklet giving you specific information about what's required to access the router's browser-based configuration screens. It's usually easy and you certainly don't need a PC or laptop to set it up.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You shouldn't need to do anything in the router's settings if it was supplied by your broadband provider. If it wasn't, you'll need to configure it yourself, using the settings you were given by the broadband provider.

Your iPad will automatically detect the router (and that of everyone else in the vicinity). All you have to do is select yours from the list and tell the iPad to connect. Enter the network key when you're asked for it,and you'll be online. After that the iPad will connect automatically, every time you turn it on within range.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Thanks all..IP = Internet Provider !

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing