We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internal hard drive disappeared ........

Graham1958

Likes # 0

Hi, my internal WD Sata hard drive is no longer accessible in my desktop pc. I believe it became a little noisy shortly before this happened. I have swapped cables and ports with my other drive which has the OS on it, but to no avail. It is still getting power to it as it vibrates slightly when the pc is turned on.

Any help MUCH appreciated as foolishly I hadn't backed it up.

Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Check in the BIOS that it is recognised. Windows won't see it if BIOS can't.

A trick that worked for me when I had same prob was putting hard drive in freezer overnight (double wrapped in plastic to keep out moisture) and then following day it was accessible and I was able to copy off all data.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you see it in disk management?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

disk management - if it shows there ok it may have lost it's drive letter, if so then Windows Explorer won't be able to list it so you will need to assign it a letter.

Like this post
Graham1958

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your replies. Just got back from the local pc shop and the guy says it has had it. It's got the dreaded "click". He did suggest trying it in the freezer! There is no sign of it in disk management or anywhere else. I cannot get into bios at the moment as I have no ps2 keyboard until Amazon deliver one to me........

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Freezer is last resort

Its probably damage the file system so something like Test disk can recover most of your files as long as BIOS can see the drive.

If it clicks then BIOS should see it.

You should be able to get into BIOS with a USB or wireless keyboard

Like this post
Graham1958

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat. I have not been able to get into bios with my usb keyboard for some reason. I get no response to any keyboard actions at all. I was advised to try a ps2 one so I ordered a cheapo off amazon. I will certainly follow your advise when I do get in.

Many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite