We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

scannow stops at 81 per cent

patso

Likes # 0

When running sfc scannow the scan stops at 81 per cent. It only started this lately. I'm using windows 7 Toshiba satellite c660 Intel i3. Any ideas please as my pc is freezing lately but its only a few months old. Any help please.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How long did you wait before you decided it was frozen? sometimes it does appear to have frozen but is really still checking files. Have you got the W7 DVD in the tray when you run it?

May I ask what prompted you to run scannow? (and the previous scannows you have done)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

lotvic

Maybe check out his last posts and it gives you an idea as to what problems he has had in the past with it.

Don't think you need the DVD with W/7 when running sfc /scannow.Will the DVD in the drive stop it working properly.Only asking as I am always interested on what to do for the best.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Jock1e, his last thread was just over a month ago and no mention of freezing..

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4184897/internet-cuts-off-with-default-gateway-not-available-error/

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi the problem i had was sluggish connection to both chrome and IE ,I ran sfc /scannow before and it worked perfect,but when i ran it again lately to see if this would resolve my problem i got this message -Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation- and it happens at 81 per cent,my question is why does this happen on a fairly new pc,i dont have a back up disc as the recovery is on a partition which came installed,i am only back on line now after this problem as i let the pc run for a while doing its own thing from start up and seems to be running ok now. I am doing an av scan with avg now to see if anything caused the crash,thanks for the replies,my previous posts were resolved ,the last one was an ip provider problem.By the way is there any way to do a start up recovery without the disc?thanks again

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You should create your own system recovery discs. Here are the instructions Toshiba.com

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can create and burn a W7 System Repair Disc

You can download the .iso and burn a W7 ordinary install DVD (get the W7 Media Refresh (SP1 U) - that's W7 with SP1 on) scroll down to 2nd panel of links for the English(USA) version.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe run Malwarebytes after AVG to see if that finds anything. Any yellow exclamation marks in Device manager.

chkdsk may not make any difference but maybe give it a run to see if it repairs any faults.

It could take a couple of hours depending on what you have on your computer.

My Computer.Right Click C Drive and click on properties.Tools.Check and tick both boxes.it should tell you it can't run until computer restarts just click on restart now.Like I said it could take a few hours so you will not be able to run any other programs till it finishes.

There were 13 Windows updates last night for W/8 I would imagine W/7 will be much the same so maybe download those first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do