We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Machine upgrade

Jinghamm

Likes # 0

I have a desktop thats about 5 years old that i was looking to upgrade with mostly new components to make it a mid range gaming PC as i currently play on a pretty shitty laptop, and its painful, to say the least. So basically im looking to spend around £300 on the upgrade, and with that i was hopeing to get a decent processor, new graphics card, a new motherboard and some more ram. The hard drive should still be okay and the power supply may be an issue but i can sort that out afterwards if it isnt enough! So here goes, this is what i found and i'd appreciate some feedback on what you think, and possible suggestions to something else.

Processor: This is my more budget idea: AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz Socket AM3.. | Ebuyer.com

Heres my slightly less one: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8150 8 Core 3.6Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB.. | Ebuyer.com

Motherboard: This seems a bit of a bargain to me, and a few friends i asked said it would do the job just fine: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX.. | Ebuyer.com

Graphics card (where i need most help):

This one seemed quite a lot but i was recommended it by a IG mate who said it would be a worthy investment: Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

This oen is almost half the price of the other one, but i didn't know really how much"worse" it would be: Gigabyte HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics.. | Ebuyer.com

RAM:

This one was also reccomended to me, seemed like a good idea, i think 8gb should suffice for me! Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Memory Kit.. | Ebuyer.com

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Compare your graphic card choices here. As you can see the 7850 slaughters the 7750.

I don't really know much about AMD cpu's but I know that 8 cores is overkill, and so is 6 to be honest, most games only use 2 cores with the exception of a few that use 4 cores for multiplayer, if I was in your situation I would seriously consider getting an i5 2500k.

You don't not say what your current PSU is but it will be necessary to upgrade that if your current PC is an ancient 5 years old.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can only use 8gb ram if you use a 64 bit version of Windows.32 bit version will only take 4 Gb.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"im looking to spend around £300 on the upgrade, and with that i was hopeing to get a .......... new motherboard ......."

Don't forget that you'll also need to buy a new copy of Windows, and when you've taken the cost into account, it maybe a lot less faff and only slightly more expensive to buy a pre-built mid-range gaming PC.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Jock1e Quoted:<< You can only use 8gb ram if you use a 64 bit version of Windows >>

Where did you get that information from? As far as I know, unless you're using Win 7 Home Basic or due to your motherboard's limitation,upto 8 Gb Ram can be used otherwise upto 16 GB for Home Premium & even more for Professional or above.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - I have 16Gb on W7 64 bit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features