We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 OS on PC and Laptop

tonyq
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, last year I bought a PC with Windows 7 installed,which came with the Windows 7 Disc. I am now looking for a new laptop. Could I install Win 7 on the laptop,if I bought one with no operating system installed from say Novatech,using the disc I received with the PC.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Probably not it will be registered with your first Pc.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is it an original W/7 disc or is it just one for the particular make and model of your computer.

If an original disc you could try downloading it without verifying the kecode then see if you could upgrade it to W/8 for £25.But then again that could be £25 down the drain If microsoft does not recognise it.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Having had a quick look at Novatech site and comparing it to Tesco, I don't see much of a saving buying a laptop with no OS.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e530-3259hng-156-inch-notebook-pentium-b970-23ghz-8gb-500gb-dvdrw-wlan-bt-webcam-windows-7-hp-64-bit-intel-hd-graphics/191-4995.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=191-4995 - link to a Lenovo laptop, newly listed at Tesco.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The disc will be fine, but you won't have a COA key to activate it. You'll have to buy a disc and key from somewhere like these.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And don't fall for the scammers that sell a 'genuine product key' for about a tenner. They sell you a genuine key alright, BUT they sell the same key hundreds of times so after a few weeks it will fail (if it activates at all) as Microsoft will flag it up and put it on the banned key list. Then wherever you bought it from will have closed down (so you can't complain to them) and opened up again with a new name to con the next set of mugs.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help/advice,I have ordered a laptop that comes with the O/S installed (Windows 7), enter link description here

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

tonyq

Just a matter of interest did you get £25 off with that discount code that I left you.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Jock1e, sorry if I have missed something which discount code?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite