We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer freezes during startup - suspect hardware fault

Tim

Likes # 0

I have a problem with my WIndows 7 PC.

It freezes during startup after the Windows logo but before it gets to the logon screen. I have tried running the Windows repair process using the original Windows 7 disk and also from pressing F8 during startup. In both the cases the programs freeze before they had fully loaded. I wondered if I had a hard disk fault so I tried running my Acronis Recovery disk. This program too freezes before it has fully loaded (The disk has been checked on another PC and it works OK.

I therefore suspect a hardware fault - possibly with the motherboard, processor or memory. Are there any checks or programs I could try and run that might help me locate the problem?

I don't know if it connected, but I have had a funny when starting the computer for the last few weeks. When I powered on the computer I got a disk activity light and a fan noise for about a second. The computer then went totally dead for about 5-7 seconds and then it would start booting up as normal.

I have Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R motherboard with 8GB of memory.

Any ideas of what to try.

Thanks, Timothy

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Will it start in safemode from the F8 prompt?

Freezing at the point you describe is usually a driver problem.

Like this post
Tim

Likes # 0

No - It freezes during safe mode startup as well.

I doubt that it is the drivers, because I have also tried booting from my original Windows 7 DVD in an attempt to run its repair program and it freezes as well.

Timothy

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

With your other problems during start it could be PSU starting to fail.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could try reseating the memory but you usually just get a black screen with that.

Not to old a computer by the looks of it so not likely to be the cmos battery.

So looking like the PSU like Fruit Bat /\0/\ says.

Maybe disconnect anything that you have plugged into the usb ports,printer anything like that and try again and see if it gets any further.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Possibly a failing graphics card? I had these symptoms when mine failed.

Like this post
Tim

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I wil do some more checks and see what happens.

Thanks, Timothy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen